Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro - Laptop vs. Desktop, ect.

01-22-2024 01:31 PM
Labels (1)
blueskytoph
New Contributor

Hello everyone,

I am a former GIS Analyst turned adventure guide that has been given the opportunity to utilize my past skills in mapping to help make new hiking/property maps for the ranch I work for. I have been out of the industry for about 3 years now so there is quite a bit of rust to knock off. 

My first question pertains to laptop vs desktop use with ArcGIS Pro. I do not have access to a desktop, and my work laptop is a Lenovo ThinkPad.  I have been given permission to get an individual ArcGIS Pro license but I am aware that the laptop I have probably lacks the graphics capabilities that would be ideal to run the software.  Would ArcGIS Pro still run effectively on a laptop like the ThinkPad?  If the answer is no, what options do I have in regards to access to ArcGIS without investing into a new laptop or desktop.  Are there any places I can pay for desktop usage as long as I provide the license?  I reached out to a local University that has a GIS Lab but I am still awaiting a response.

Any information would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
CodyPatterson
Regular Contributor

Hey @blueskytoph 

You may find this link here useful, it details the system requirements for ArcGIS Pro 3.2, along with a tool that tests your system to verify how closely the requirements fit: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/arcgis-pro-system-requirements.htm

I currently am using a laptop with a Radeon 780M, 32 GB of ram and a Ryzen 7 PRO 7840U and can run many windows of Pro without issue, some of the Server systems that I have gotten Pro to run on have been slow, but they have worked in a pinch!

Let me know if I can help any further!

Cody

0 Kudos
blueskytoph
New Contributor

Awesome, 

Thank you Cody, I appreciate the quick response. Very helpful link.

0 Kudos
CodyPatterson
Regular Contributor

No problem at all! If you use the System Requirements Lab, just be sure you keep the tab open past the download and it'll show it on the browser!

Cody

0 Kudos