Select to view content in your preferred language

Layout Import Not Keeping Scale

08-31-2023 08:29 AM
rudbeckia
Emerging Contributor

Hello, I have a layout file I exported from one file into another but it does not keep the scale and view of the original.

I exported the layout with map frame set to none, then imported it in another file and pointed is to the map tab.

What am I doing wrong? First image is original layout/scale/view I want, second images is the import into a different file

Thanks

1.png2.png

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi!

What's happening is when you change the map in a map frame the default extent of the map is shown. This is because the application doesn't know what you want to see. However you can use map frame constraints to tell it what you are expecting. This blog goes over a similar use case and shows how to use map frame constraints to fix it: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-pro/mapping/map-frames-and-the-magic-of-map-frame-c....

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos
RichardOHearn
Emerging Contributor

I'm both confused and - more notably - frustrated, and I'm hoping you (or anyone else) could help me out here:

I'm using a bookmark and setting the scale in a layout, but when I go to export it as a PDF the scale reverts to a different one...I'm not really sure what's going on.

The layout is a duplicate from the most recent one I plotted from a nearby area, I'm wondering if that scale is being carried over even though I'm using a different bookmark for the map frame?

0 Kudos
JuliaOlson
Esri Contributor

Hi Rudbeckia,

When you save a Layout File, unless the Map Frame has a constraint set (i.e., fixed extent), then the extent of the map will snap back to the default extent of the map after importing. So, in your case, where your Layout File map is comprised of a basemap, you will see the world extent, because that is the full extent of the data. 

You've got two options here! The first, and the one I recommend, is to set a constraint of the Map Frame in the Layout File. To do so, you can select the Map Frame in the Contents Pane, open the Properties, and on the Display Options tab, you can select Fixed extent as the constraint (shown below). Then, save your Layout File as normal and import.

JuliaOlson_0-1693513750060.png

Another way to do this is to set a custom extent in the Map itself. To do this, you start by zooming to the desired area and scale in your map. Then, right click on your Map in the Contents Pane, and open the Properties. You can then click on the Extent section, where you can choose Use a custom extent (shown below). Then select "Current visible extent" and hit Ok. You can then save your Layout File as normal and when you import it, you will see the correct scale. 

JuliaOlson_1-1693514001920.png

Here's a help topic we have on map frame constraints if you have any more questions, Map frame constraints—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation.

Hope this helps!

Julia

0 Kudos
rudbeckia
Emerging Contributor

Hello Again,

I was able to get this to work and my layout now represents the scale/view that was exported, but its still pointing to the older map frame. Meaning any data I now add to my file, or if I change basemaps, nothing updates in my layout

I have tried pointing the mapframe in the layout to my current files map, but this did not work

0 Kudos
rudbeckia
Emerging Contributor

Thank you both! I will try these suggestions 

0 Kudos
rudbeckia
Emerging Contributor

Hello Again,

I was able to get this to work and my layout now represents the scale/view that was exported, but its still pointing to the older map frame. Meaning any data I now add to my file, or if I change basemaps, nothing updates in my layout

I have tried pointing the mapframe in the layout to my current files map, but this did not work

0 Kudos
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

That's odd. I definitely recommend restarting your machine if you haven't already, just in case something got stuck in a weird state. If that doesn't work, I'd reach out to technical support. There might be a bug in the software and they are best equipped to troubleshoot bugs and get them to the right people to fix. 

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos
rudbeckia
Emerging Contributor

I dont think its a bug, it happened to my entire class  (so 30 people)

Do you have to point the newly inserted layout to your current files map?

0 Kudos
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, you'll need to change the map frame's map to a map in your current project for data to appear. 

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos