Layout Graticule (set to Degrees Decimal Minutes) does not work

Jump to solution
11-02-2022 02:13 AM
ClaudiaFries
New Contributor III

Dear ESRI community,

working with Pro 2.9.3....

Simple task: create layout with graticule showing labels in Degree Decimal Minutes.

I tried with ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro as well, but with no success so far. Should be just a click / setting, right? But it does not work for me. I have selected the unit accordingly (graticule properties, menu button), but it has no effect on the display. Is there anything left to configure? Does anyone know a workaround?

Many thanks for any suggestions and help in advance!

BR, Claudia

ClaudiaFries_0-1667379998929.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Claudia, 

Thanks for the screenshot. It looks like you are trying to use the options available from the "burger" button at the top right of the pane. These settings ONLY affect how coordinates are displayed in the pane. They do not affect how graticule/grid labels are displayed on the layout page.

Label formatting is done by the use of tags in the Format text box under the Appearance group.

Screenshot.PNG

The example below shows units to be "dms" (degrees, minutes, seconds). In order to display the labels in Degree Decimal Minutes the units must be "ddm".

Here is an example. I entered the follwoing:

<dyn type="grid" units="ddm" showZeroMinutes="true" zeroPad="true" decimalPlaces="1" directionSeparator = " "/>

Here is my result:

Screenshot2.PNG

Note: Word wrap is another pane-specific property and has no bearing on the display of labels on the layout.

The help topic Work with grid label tags provides a more in depth explanation along with a number of examples that you can use. 

Hope this helps,

Tom

View solution in original post

5 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Claudia, 

Thanks for the screenshot. It looks like you are trying to use the options available from the "burger" button at the top right of the pane. These settings ONLY affect how coordinates are displayed in the pane. They do not affect how graticule/grid labels are displayed on the layout page.

Label formatting is done by the use of tags in the Format text box under the Appearance group.

Screenshot.PNG

The example below shows units to be "dms" (degrees, minutes, seconds). In order to display the labels in Degree Decimal Minutes the units must be "ddm".

Here is an example. I entered the follwoing:

<dyn type="grid" units="ddm" showZeroMinutes="true" zeroPad="true" decimalPlaces="1" directionSeparator = " "/>

Here is my result:

Screenshot2.PNG

Note: Word wrap is another pane-specific property and has no bearing on the display of labels on the layout.

The help topic Work with grid label tags provides a more in depth explanation along with a number of examples that you can use. 

Hope this helps,

Tom

ClaudiaFries
New Contributor III

Hi Tom, 

Thank you very much for the quick and detailed support, it really helped me a lot.

I did indeed only try it via the menu button and assumed that this should have an effect on the display in the layout. So I hadn't understood the concept correctly.

Best regards,

Claudia

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Glad I could help!

0 Kudos
GayleNeufeld
Occasional Contributor

Why would ESRI do this?  This is so much more complicated than it was in ArcMap.  I just need simple, decimal degree labels and honestly do not have time to figure out tags, and trying to find any mistake/typo in the tags.  Why not have an option for custom format for those who need it, but for those who don't just use the check boxes.  

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @GayleNeufeld 

Though some users are more comfortable with the "wizard" experience ArcMap provided for grids and graticules there were fundamental issues and limitations with this approach in supporting all the various types of grids (MGRS, custom, etc...) and in incorporating new functionality. A new approach was needed.

We understand that a number of users find using the formatting tags cumbersome. Grids are complicated. There are a multitude of variables to consider.  Designing an easy-to-use UI that is also robust, supports even the most complicated grid arrangements and allows for customization is no small task. The good news is all the functionality that a UI would expose is already there. 

The bad news is you will have to work with tags, however, you do not have to become a coding expert in order to make a change.  You want your labels to display in Decimal Degrees. The first two examples  in the help topic Work with grid label tags are for Decimal Degrees.

Screenshot1.PNG

To use either of these you can copying the tags right from the help and pasting it over the current tags in your existing grid.  I've also included the tags here:

• <dyn type="grid" units="dd" decimalPlaces="3" zeroPad="True" showDirections="True" directionSeparator=" "/>
  • <dyn type="grid" units="dd" decimalPlaces="3" zeroPad="True" showDirections="False" showSymbol="False"/>

Once you have a grid you like saving this to a style so you can reuse your grid for other layouts. Saving to a style is covered at the end of this tutorial - Tutorial: Work with a graticule. By creating styles from your most common grid configurations you should find your workflow as efficient as it was in ArcMap.

Hope this helps,

Tom

0 Kudos