Layout copy and paste creates an unwanted new map automatically using an ArcMap import

Jump to solution
02-14-2023 07:37 AM
GreenMountainFingerLakesNation
New Contributor II

Hi.  I imported an ArcMap document into Pro that included two maps (a main map and a vicinity map) as well as a layout.  My desire is to duplicate the layout multiple times based on the same map - consider it a manual map series (there are many reasons I can't use a map series - don't ask :-)).  However, when I copy and paste my layout, it automatically duplicates both maps (which are both in the layout).  I really don't need multiple copies of the same maps which will stay the same aside from extent for all of these layouts.  When I've tried this with a fresh Pro project it does not duplicate the map, so I'm wondering if there's something that changes using and ArcMap import, and if there's any way around it duplicating the map every time I duplicate the layout.  Thanks for ideas or pointing me in the right direction!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor II

Hi - as it turns out, I must have had an in-memory raster in there, or some issue with an image service.  I had several image services in the map, and when I removed all but the one I was actively using, the behavior ended - copying and pasting a layout no longer created a duplicate of the maps in the layout.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

Do you have an in-memory raster in those maps (or maybe a temporary join; I don't remember if that also caused it)?

(1) duplicate layout - Esri Community

If you're in not in Pro 3.X, that may be the reason this is happening.

0 Kudos
New Contributor II

Hi - not an in-memory raster but I do have a temporary join.  Also not in Pro 3.x yet - our org is in the process of getting there but not yet

0 Kudos
New Contributor II

I tested this with a blank project - added a map, added the FC, joined the table, created a layout, copied/pasted the layout, and only the layout was duplicated, not the map.  So the joined table is not the issue.

0 Kudos
New Contributor II

Hi - as it turns out, I must have had an in-memory raster in there, or some issue with an image service.  I had several image services in the map, and when I removed all but the one I was actively using, the behavior ended - copying and pasting a layout no longer created a duplicate of the maps in the layout.

0 Kudos