Layer to KML not producing KMZ

Jump to solution
03-02-2020 11:56 AM
IanBeal1
New Contributor

In ArcGIS Pro 2.4.2 I am attempting to create a KMZ from a .lyrx file.  When using the .lyrx file as the input the tool does not fail but it does not create an output KMZ.  If I bring the .lyrx file into the pro project and use it as the input it works.  The reason I want to use the .lyrx file is because I'm creating a python script that has a KMZ as the final output for the user so i have to use the .lyrx file and not physically bring a layer into Pro.

I appreciate the help in advance!

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Unfortunately this is listed as a bug on the support website: BUG-000124136: Adding a layer file (.lyrx) from a folder in the Lay..   It looks like the listed workaround is what you're doing; i.e. add the lyrx as a layer to a map, and then add to the tool.

So... since you want to script this, is it possible to run the Make Feature Layer—Data Management toolbox | Documentation using the lyrx as input, and feed the output into Layer to KML?  Might be worth giving it a try.

As for that bug, you can use the link above to Subscribe which will sign you up for notifications, and also increment the count of affected customers:

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Unfortunately this is listed as a bug on the support website: BUG-000124136: Adding a layer file (.lyrx) from a folder in the Lay..   It looks like the listed workaround is what you're doing; i.e. add the lyrx as a layer to a map, and then add to the tool.

So... since you want to script this, is it possible to run the Make Feature Layer—Data Management toolbox | Documentation using the lyrx as input, and feed the output into Layer to KML?  Might be worth giving it a try.

As for that bug, you can use the link above to Subscribe which will sign you up for notifications, and also increment the count of affected customers:

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
IanBeal1
New Contributor

Kory,

Thank you! I ran into this issue in the script because the lyrx created from Make Feature Layer would not create an output when used as the input for Layer to KML.  

Thanks for the help!

PersefoniKapotas
New Contributor III

I have a similar problem.  I am trying to convert a graphics layer to a kmz.  When I use layer to KML tool, it does not fail, but it does not produce a kmz file either.  I successfully created a kmz within the same project from a different graphics layer just a few days ago.  Now, nothing.