Select to view content in your preferred language

Layer to KML is not naming properly, possible bug

03-19-2024 02:20 PM
ScottFinck
New Contributor II

I am using ArcGISPro 3.2.2. The Layer to KML tool is not handling the names of point data the way it should. This used to work a few months ago. I don't know if we were using a different version then. I am using clamp features to ground and do not return single composite image. I set up the label color, size, expression and turned the labels on. They display properly in ArcGISPro. When I export the layer to KML, every feature name when viewed in Google Earth is the same because it is using a different field than the site_name field I specified to use. I have found a workaround by going to the layer properties>display>drop down and select the field I want to use for labeling. However, if I set up an expression in this area, it names everything based on the object ID for some reason. I need to be able to use an expression to properly name my features. This issue is not only happening to me but with everyone else in my group. I wrote a python tool to see if maybe the Layer to KML tool is broken but it does the same thing. That leads me to believe that there is a bug in the software. I would greatly appreciate if anyone had some insight to this issue. Thanks!

15 Replies
ScottFinck
New Contributor II

I have found a partial workaround. This may work for Brodie as well but since he is using a script, I am not sure that it will. If you right click on a layer in your contents pane and go to properties and then display, there is a drop-down menu that allows you to select a display field. Use the field that works best for your output naming and it will use that for each KML label. Be aware though, that the expression function is broken in this location as well. The only option for getting a usable label is to select a single field to label from.

xcubbyxbearx
New Contributor

I had the same issue today as well as my colleague. I have a feeling this problem is a bit more prominent now in version 3.3.0, as I am able to recreate it often with multiple layers. 

I set the display field in ArcGIS Pro, but when using layer to KML and opening in Google Earth, all of the attributes are named "no name". 

JC-220
by
New Contributor III

Same issue here. I'm back in 3.2.1 Setting the Display field will give me one label but I need 2+ for each point. 

ScottFinck
New Contributor II

Yep, I need 2+ as well for each point but for now I have to settle with one. It's almost unusable.

BeckyMackel2
New Contributor

Hey @myesri , @esriesri , @RDESRIwhat is the ETA for fixing this bug?  

0 Kudos
PakinamSwielim_hatch
New Contributor

Hello

As a work around, I have export the KMZ file in Global Mapper to a shapefile and then open the layer in ArcGIS and each point came with the correct name

0 Kudos