Layer (polygon feature) keeps disappearing on ArcGIS pro

03-24-2021 12:13 AM
nontombisiro
New Contributor

Hi guys, I am working with arcGIS pro to create polygons within a specific layer. so I have two layers open at a time, one that I am editing (creating polygons on),and one that is supposed to guide the extent of my work (the outline). 

My issue is that the outline layer randomly disappear over time on the "map window" but it still appears on the table of contents. zooming in and out does not help, viewing map it full extent does not help, and refreshing my computer does not help. when I go to where the layer is saved and try to open it on arcMap or Arc Catalog preview it does not show, but it is still there on the geodatabase on the arc Catalog tree.

what could be happening? Please help.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Do both have the same coordinate system?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
nontombisiro
New Contributor

yeah, they do.

0 Kudos
Tim_McGinnes
Occasional Contributor III

I have had something strange happening that sounds sort of similar. Also editing polygons in Pro. Sometimes the feature I just edited disappears when clicking outside or clearing the selection. The row is still in the attribute table but no matter how I zoom or pan or refresh the view it will not display. If I save my edits, remove the layer and add the layer back in the feature now displays. This has happened 5 or 6 times now but I cannot force it to happen. I am using Pro 2.7.2. I have also once had the feature remain on the screen, even when I remove the layer. It does not disappear, even after zooming\panning. I had to delete the map to get it to disappear. I imagine this sort of problem would be quite hard to track down, maybe a memory or cache corruption issue?. Anyone else experiencing strange things?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Since it is a couple of days away from Friday.  A cache clean, as suggested, is a good idea and a computer reboot (not just a shutdown of the application) may be in order.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
AMusgrave
New Contributor

I am having the same problem right now! Did you ever find out how to fix it?

0 Kudos
NickMiddleton
New Contributor III

My expereince (esp. in another popular GIS package) has been that some where in the polygon feature class there may be a a feature with a "self-intersection" .  Do a check geometry and if features with issues are identified find them and repair manually or/and do a repair geometry.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.9/tool-reference/data-management/check-geometry.htm

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.9/tool-reference/data-management/repair-geometry.htm

Cheers,

Nick

0 Kudos