Land Cover Shapefile Data???

03-08-2024 08:14 AM
Labels (1)
AvaFarouche
Occasional Contributor

Hi, all,

Does anyone remember using a National Land Cover Dataset in the form of a shapefile or layer, as opposed to an image file?  There are some gorgeous imagery layers for Land Cover now - but I can't query them. 

I used to have a shapefile layer for land cover, and I could separate out different categories, calculate areas, conduct queries to see how different categories intersect with other layers, etc.

I cannot find anything of the kind available anymore. Does anyone remember what I'm talking about or know where something like this is available now?

Thank you!!!

0 Kudos
15 Replies
AvaFarouche
Occasional Contributor

Darn. I keep breaking it down into smaller and smaller sections to export, and I keep getting an error that the raster exceeds the size limitations. The smallest size so far I have chosen is Kentucky, but I need this to cover several states together, at least, so if I have to break it down smaller than that it's really not practical. So..... I'm not sure there is a solution to this. Break it down into counties, and piece 20+ pieces together for each state, and then piece 8 of those together? I guess I could if I have to .. 

0 Kudos
Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

yes, there's a constraint on the raster output size, you would have to break them into counties and then merge them together in the end using the Append tool.

Question | Analyze | Visualize
0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

You can also bypass the Living Atlas and go here and download the data for whatever years you're interested in.

0 Kudos
AvaFarouche
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Steve. Yes, I already downloaded several files from that site. I still have the same problem of converting to shapefile. Everything I've found on there is raster.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

0 Kudos
AvaFarouche
Occasional Contributor

Hi, there. The reason is because I'm basically self-taught and I learn by googling and posting here as a last resort. I have used shapefiles for these in the past so that's what I was looking for. But thanks for bringing it up, I'll look into it.

0 Kudos