Select to view content in your preferred language

KMZ fails to zoom or convert to layer

Jump to solution
a month ago
Labels (2)
ghoving
New Contributor

I'm currently attempting to open a set of files that were provided as .kmz, with different layers (georeferenced pngs, I think) from the base data and different gas plumes on top of it. I know the files are good because they open without issue in Google Earth Pro. However, when I try to open it in ArcGIS Pro 3.2.0, the layers do not fully load beyond a very blurry view and disappear when I zoom in past 1:130000. Here is the kmz I'm currently working with for reference: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19Il6jvZ_HptSeZ1XZz2l88GSE-LlJDkw/view?usp=sharing

When I try and use the KML to Layer tool, it fails with the following error:

WARNING 000401: No features were found for processing

When I check "Include ground track", it executes without error but the layer includes only the blurry view from before, though it allows zooming now. It also includes several odd large rectangles across the world map.

When I add the.kmz files to Arc, it also gives me a drawing alert error, "Failed to evaluate label expression". Any ideas how to get these files to display correctly?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
juliaangel
New Contributor II

It is like the KML to Layer tool is having trouble with the georeferenced images. You might want to try converting the KMZ to a KML first and then using the "KML to Layer" tool in ArcGIS Pro. Sometimes, separating the steps can help isolate the issue. If that doesn't work, consider using a different tool like Global Mapper for conversion before importing into ArcGIS Pro and here is mentioned it's info.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

convert them first

KML To Layer (Conversion)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
ghoving
New Contributor

ghoving_0-1721081940241.png

One of the issues I am having is that the KML to layer tool is not working. Here is the output for the tool when 'include ground track' is selected. The file I am opening is a small georeferenced png in California's central valley, and the coordinate systems of the KMZ and output layer match, so I have no idea why the output looks like this.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Output datasets will be in the WGS84 coordinate system. Feature classes can be reprojected to another coordinate system using the Project tool.

The coordinate system information would be useful and perhaps drop the overlays or see where you are adding it from

Rasters, or ground overlays, will be converted to a mosaic dataset in the output geodatabase. The source raster in its native format will be copied to a GroundOverlays folder in the target folder. Ground overlays are not converted by default. Use the Include ground overlay parameter to create rasters.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
ghoving
New Contributor

ghoving_0-1721085853142.png

ghoving_0-1721085996026.png

Here's the output from one of my test runs of the tool at different scales. Both the input kmz and output layer are in WGS84, and the image is displaying in the correct location. However, it remains very blurry as you zoom in further:

ghoving_2-1721087175615.png

As you can see on Google Earth, the image should be much higher resolution:

ghoving_3-1721087253792.png

I've checked the coordinate systems, the zoom levels, cleared the display cache, restarted my computer, etc.

0 Kudos
juliaangel
New Contributor II

It is like the KML to Layer tool is having trouble with the georeferenced images. You might want to try converting the KMZ to a KML first and then using the "KML to Layer" tool in ArcGIS Pro. Sometimes, separating the steps can help isolate the issue. If that doesn't work, consider using a different tool like Global Mapper for conversion before importing into ArcGIS Pro and here is mentioned it's info.

0 Kudos
ghoving
New Contributor

I ended up solving this issue by reprocessing the source data into a geotiff using a script from the data providers.

0 Kudos