Keep labels in layout frame in map series

08-06-2018 07:31 AM
Zeke
by
Regular Contributor III

I have a map series with point and line features labelled in a background callout style. However, Pro both places labels on top of each other, and more problematically, cuts them off at the edge of the layout frame.

How can I prevent this? Thanks.

8 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Greg.

For the problem concerning overlapping labels you should set a buffer label ratio.  For more info, please see 

Specify a label buffer distance to change the space between labels—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

The cut off issue appears to be a bug.  I can't really tell from the screenshot, but is any actual text being cut off? It looks like it may just be the edge of the call-out that is being cut off.

Also, this could be an issue with the display.  If you export the map series page, do you see the entire text element (including call-out) as you would expect? If you zoom in & out of the layout view does the call-out edge appear & disappear?

Thanks, 

Tom

Zeke
by
Regular Contributor III

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, the actual label gets cut off. We fixed it by converting to annotation, but it would be nice to just have it respect the map frame.

LiviaBetancourtMazur
New Contributor III

I am having the same exact issue and it would be great if this could be fixed. The map pictured below is part of a map series with hundreds of pages and converting to annotation not possible. Thanks! 

0 Kudos
LiviaBetancourtMazur
New Contributor III

Sorry to respond again - I just figured out a really weird workaround that makes me think this is indeed a bug. If you scroll to the bottom of this documentation there is a section regarding "Allow labels to overlap border (Maplex Label Engine only)." If you go to the map property dialog box, this option is checked off - so what Greg and I are describing shouldn't be happening. The thing that made this map property "stick" for me was checking it (to do the opposite of what I wanted), hitting ok, and then going back into the property dialog box and then un-checking it again (as it originally was). Only then did my labels not overlap the border. I haven't done an exhaustive check to make sure this works all the time, but I think it does....

On top of this probably being a bug, I understand that this is a "global" property, but it seems like it would make more sense for this property to be set in the label class pane instead of the map properties. It took lots of creative Googling to find the documentation referenced above. Thanks! 

TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Livia, 

Thanks for the feedback.  I believe you are correct that there is a bug with this functionality.  Are you able to contact esri support and log an issue?  They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

Tom

0 Kudos
LiviaBetancourtMazur
New Contributor III

Sure - will do that in the next day or so. Thanks!

0 Kudos
AnnaRiling
New Contributor

Did you get resolution on this? I'm having the same problem. I'm using Pro 2.6.0.

0 Kudos
LiviaBetancourtMazur
New Contributor III

Hi! No, I didn't. I opened a ticket with ESRI and spent a while working with a tech there. I don't remember the conclusion - I don't think they resolved it and I gave up! 

0 Kudos