Joins

Jump to solution
04-27-2021 06:49 AM
Labels (2)
SLouq
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I have a point feature class and I have some contour line, what I am trying to do is find the most accurate way to join the two so I can populate my point feature with it's correct contour value. The most logical way to me would be to do a spatial join. Just right click my point feature -> Join and Relates -> Spatial Join. I have been using the Intersect Match Option with a 50 ft Search Radius but this is leaving me with some null values. So I am not sure if this is the correct way to do what I am trying to do.

What would be the correct way to accomplish this task?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

If you have an elevation raster dataset, you could use the Extract Multi Values to Points geoprocessing tool to extract the Z-value from the raster cell.  There's some interesting use cases you can read about here.  And I believe you can use DEM's from ArcGIS Online and/or the Living Atlas if you don't have a DEM for your area of interest.  Might work better than a Spatial Join perhaps.  Good luck!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

If you have an elevation raster dataset, you could use the Extract Multi Values to Points geoprocessing tool to extract the Z-value from the raster cell.  There's some interesting use cases you can read about here.  And I believe you can use DEM's from ArcGIS Online and/or the Living Atlas if you don't have a DEM for your area of interest.  Might work better than a Spatial Join perhaps.  Good luck!

SLouq
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I have lidar data. I created Contour lines and DEMs from the Lidar. Just trying to figure out the best way to get the elevation values to my address points feature.

Thanks for the reply! 

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I would look at using Near to identify the nearest line. Spatial Join should be able to pick up the contours, especially with a generous search radius, but Near doesn't require a search radius, so it will find the nearest feature regardless of distance.

You could then add a join or relate based on the NEAR_FID field that is output.

If you don't want to create a new Feature Class, but rather populate a field in the existing class, you may want to look into using Arcpy instead.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos