Select to view content in your preferred language

Joined /Added fields not showing up in advanced symbology

09-19-2022 03:22 PM
LynnCai
New Contributor

I am currently dealing with an issue where my joined fields (GAS, OIL_COAL_COKE, OTHER_NO) show up in the attribute table, but they do not show up in the fields for graduated colors. 

Info about the joined/added fields: 

GAS = UTIL_GAS + TANK_LP_GAS

OIL_COAL_COKE = OIL_KEROSENE + COAL_COKE

OTHER_NO = OTHER + NO_FUEL

While the joined fields do not appear in the dropdown menu for field under graduated colors for advanced symbology, the original individual fields do (UTIL_GAS, TANK_LP_GAS, OIL_KEROSENE, COAL_COKE, OTHER, NO_FUEL)

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AnnaSloan
Emerging Contributor

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000002287. Hey Lynn, I am in your class and am also having trouble with this. This link was quite helpful in changing the data type, so that I am able to see the fields when creating a choropleth map. However, I still get an error that says "This field does not contain quantitative data to generate symbology. A temporary symbol has been created." But, you might not get this error message, so let me know if this works for you. 

0 Kudos
JenniferAcunto
Esri Regular Contributor

Your GAS, OIL_COAL_COKE, and OTHER_NO fields are text and not numbers. Looking at your screenshot they are all left justified, while numeric fields are right justified. Graduated colors will only work with numeric values. 

You will need to add 3 additional number fields to your data. Then calculate the field (right-click on the field header and select calculate field) using Arcade to transform the appropriate value to a number. Do this for each of your three fields. You will then be able to use the graduated colors symbology on these new fields.

Screenshot 2022-09-21 070259.png

- Jen
0 Kudos
AnnaSloan
Emerging Contributor

Hi,

I am having the same issue as OP. I was wondering what would the expression look like if we were to add multiple fields into one new numeric field. For example, I need to add the text fields UTIL_GAS and TANK_LP_GAS into the new numeric field "GAS," but every time I try to add them the way you showed previously, it says there is an error. Thanks! 

0 Kudos
AnnaSloan
Emerging Contributor

Nevermind. I just tried adding a "+" in between them and that worked. For anyone else wondering it would look like this - "Number($feature.UTIL_GAS+$feature.TANK_LP_GAS)"

0 Kudos