Join from FC to mobile GDB database view results in buggy attribute table behavior

04-09-2023 10:14 PM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 3.1.1; mobile geodatabase
Background: Using a query layer or database view as a workaround for Promote selected records.

I have a FC in a mobile geodatabase. I want to create a query that can serve as a dynamic SQL flag field in the attribute table of the FC.

--active_transportation_nt_flag_vw

select
objectid,
case when type='NT' then 1 end as flag
from
active_transportation

Since query layers aren't supported for mobile geodatabases, I'll create a database view instead.

1. Add the FC to the map.
  2. Create a database view using the above SQL.
  3. Add the database view to the map.
  4. In the attribute table of the FC, create a join from the FC to the view. Linked by the OBJECTID in the FC and the view.
  5. In the FC attribute table, move the FLAG field from the joined view to the leftmost side of the attribute table (for easy viewing).
  6. Sort the FLAG field descending.

Video:

Bug #1:
Sorting the joined view (descending) doesn't work on the first try. The sort had no effect; the field remains unsorted. It only works on the second try.

Bug #2:
Removing the join doesn't work (via the hamburger menu —> Joins and Relates —> Remove Join). It doesn't remove the join on the second try either. Sometimes it works on the third try. Or sometimes removing all joins works.

Is that buggy behavior a known issue? I've observed similar (but different) buggy behavior in the following setup as well: ArcGIS Pro 2.6.8 Oracle 18c 10.7.1 EGDB SDE.ST_GEOMETRY (on a different computer than the above mobile geodatabase test).

It's a shame that joining a FC to a SQL query/view so buggy in the attribute table. See the "Existing mechanisms aren’t suitable" section in Virtual Attributes (ad hoc).

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

Esri Case #03311504 - ArcGIS Pro - Join from FC to mobile GDB database view results in buggy attribute table behavior

BUG-000157874 - Sorting fails after a Flag field is added to a view definition, the view is joined to a feature layer, and the Flag field is moved to the front of the table

BUG-000157875 - Remove Join tool fails after a Flag field is added to a view definition, the view is joined to a feature layer, and fields in the joined table are reordered and sorted

0 Kudos