Select to view content in your preferred language

Issue with Attribute Inheritance Using Split Tool in ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
06-06-2023 08:12 AM
RodrigoLama
Occasional Contributor

Dear ArcGIS Support,

I am experiencing an issue when using the Split tool in ArcGIS Pro. Upon splitting a polygon, the figure disappears from the map. Although the resulting two polygons still exist in the attribute table, all of their fields are set to null and they do not inherit the attributes from the original polygon.

Here are the steps I have followed:

1. I select the polygon I want to split.
  2. I use the Split tool to draw a cutting line and split the polygon.
  3. The figure disappears from the map and the resulting polygons in the attribute table have all fields set to null.

I have checked the geometry of the polygons and it appears to be correct, and I am using the latest version of ArcGIS Pro. I would appreciate any assistance you can provide in resolving this issue.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your response.

Best Regards

RodrigoLama_0-1686064466071.png

RodrigoLama_1-1686064479843.png

Rodrigo Lama.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

There may be better way that I'm not aware of, but if you change in Pro and overwrite the HFS will work, but, may have issues with popups/configs/etc.

It also appears as if that can be changed in the JSON of the service layer itself with the Update Definition option (change from "esriSPTDefaultValue" to "esriSPTDuplicate"((Need to make sure to delete the last edit date or it will fail to update)):

RhettZufelt_0-1686072309240.png

R_

View solution in original post

7 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

You example doesn't show the "cutting" line, so hard to tell what you are trying to do.

Almost as if you have a multipart polygon that you are trying to split?  If this is the case, maybe try the Explode tool instead.

RhettZufelt_0-1686065770754.png

R_

0 Kudos
RodrigoLama
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your response. I apologize if my initial description was unclear. To clarify, I am indeed trying to split a polygon using the Split tool. I am not working with a multipart polygon, so I don't believe the Explode tool would apply in this case.

I have now uploaded some images which should better represent my process:

RodrigoLama_2-1686066699139.png

RodrigoLama_3-1686066934781.png

In these images, you can see the polygon I'm attempting to split, the cutting line I'm using with the Split tool, and the resulting polygons in the attribute table with all fields set to null.

The reason I'm using the Split tool is because I need to cut a polygon into two distinct polygons. I expect the resulting polygons to inherit attributes from the original polygon, but this isn't happening.

I appreciate your help with this issue and look forward to your response.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

OIC.

It appears as if you have Domains on those fields, and the values on split is determined with the split policy on the domain.

RhettZufelt_2-1686068101770.png

So, if the split policy is set to Duplicate, it will duplicate the existing values in the resultant polygons.  If it is set to Default, it will set them to the default value for that Field ("Unknown = Null"):

RhettZufelt_1-1686068022151.png

R_

MrRamonG
Occasional Contributor

In addition to what Rhett provided, I'd say the reason the polygon disappears from the map is because the attributes are lost, due to what Rhett pointed out, and the polygon no longer satisfies symbology attribute requirements.

Layer Slayer
RodrigoLama
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your detailed response. It's clear now that the issue is related to the split policy of the domain, which is set to Default, hence setting all fields to Null on split.

However, I am working on a web map and as far as I know, the policy of the domain cannot be changed directly in this environment. Is there any workaround for this issue when dealing with a web map in ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise?

I appreciate your time and assistance on this issue.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

There may be better way that I'm not aware of, but if you change in Pro and overwrite the HFS will work, but, may have issues with popups/configs/etc.

It also appears as if that can be changed in the JSON of the service layer itself with the Update Definition option (change from "esriSPTDefaultValue" to "esriSPTDuplicate"((Need to make sure to delete the last edit date or it will fail to update)):

RhettZufelt_0-1686072309240.png

R_

RodrigoLama
Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much for your insightful response. Your explanations have significantly contributed to a better understanding of my issue. I'm going to try the suggested method of changing the JSON definition of the service layer.

I appreciate your patience and expertise in helping me troubleshoot this problem. I'll reach out if I encounter any more issues or need further assistance.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos