Issue geocoding latitude and longitude

08-01-2016 08:41 AM
BobbyBoone
New Contributor

I'm trying to geocode addresses based on longitude and latitude and only about 90% of my addresses get plotted. Any idea why? I can't see any difference from the co-ordinances that get plotted and the ones that don't.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

can't tell from the map or table, but are you suggesting that the ones that you have selected don't get geocoded and plotted because they have a positive longitude?  there is some discussion and clarification in the help About finding an address—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
BobbyBoone
New Contributor

Dan, it seems that it won't plot the point if it has a positive longitude. I'm using the "Make XY Event Layer" tool. Could it be that I'm using the wrong spatial reference?

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You should be using a geographic coordinate system... presumably a GCS WGS-84 which is pretty standard for decimal degree coordinates, particularly on a global scale and or derived GPS data or unprojected global maps.

0 Kudos
BobbyBoone
New Contributor

We are using this spatial reference. Are there any other troubleshooting steps to take?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I will have to look further.  The link I posted said, however, in reference to long/lat coordinates

No specific locators are needed in the project for finding these x,y locations. ArcGIS Pro supports finding these x,y locations using the Locate pane only.

0 Kudos