Select to view content in your preferred language

Is there a way to edit a SQL DB Table (as a standalone table) in ArcGIS Pro?

Jump to solution
11-09-2022 04:51 PM
sperez
by
New Contributor II

Hello!

Basically, I'm wanting to use ArcGIS Pro to complete a few field calculations in a SQL database table, using the corresponding fields in a separate feature class. However, it seems I cannot edit this SQL table in ArcGIS Pro. 

To explain what I've done thus far:

1. I've connected to my respective SQL DB in Catalog.

2. I've pulled in a table containing location data and plotted it using LAT/LONG, then exported it as a feature class. 

3. I then used a spatial join with other layers to conduct my field calculations. I removed this spatial join once my calcs were complete. 

4. I then joined the SQL DB table to my cleaned up feature class and started an edit session.

This is where I ran into my issue. Even after starting an edit session, the 'Calculate Field' option is greyed out, nor can I click into a cell to edit an attribute. I ensured I had read/write access at the DB level, as well as the item level. Do I need to register the table with a geodatabase to achieve this, or am I'm missing something simple here?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

You are not able to edit directly from ArcGIS Pro on a database, unless you register the table with the Enterprise Geodatabase or publish as a service.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/databases/databases-and-arcgis.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_...

Hope this helps!

--- George T.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Temporary join? Add Join (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

or permanent? Join Field (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

And are you trying to edit a field in the destination table or the join table?

A permanent join should allow you to edit any field

... sort of retired...
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

You are not able to edit directly from ArcGIS Pro on a database, unless you register the table with the Enterprise Geodatabase or publish as a service.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/databases/databases-and-arcgis.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_...

Hope this helps!

--- George T.
sperez
by
New Contributor II

George,

This is what I suspected. Thank you for confirming and for providing the helpful link! Now time to convince my DBA into allowing me to register the table with an Enterprise GDB...

0 Kudos