Select to view content in your preferred language

Is the Move tool broken for polygons?

Jump to solution
01-22-2020 08:45 AM
JeffWard
Honored Contributor

I keep trying to do things in Pro so that I can switch to using it full time but I keep hitting snags that make me lose confidence in it.

Like today, I'm trying to move a polygon feature, but it doesn't move. I go through all of the steps, select a polygon move the anchor, drag the polygon to a new location snapping it to another feature and click the finish check box, but it goes back to its original location and the tool says it was successful.

It works with points and lines, just not polygons.

Can anyone duplicate this?

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
13 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've just had this issue and a quick google found this thread. 

I have a set of rectangular polygons that I'm using as the bounding boxes for a map series. I've been able to move these polygons successfully up until now (been working with them for approx a month); but now the move tool has stopped working. 

As described above I select the anchor and move the tool, press F2 to finish the operation. The polygon reverts to its original location but the tool inidicates the move has been successful and there is a change to save in the edit ribbon. I cant move or rotate this polygon but I can edit the vertices (a different tool). 

The polygon shapefile is saved locally on my machine and is not complex at all - just a set of 25 rectangular polygons with some attribute data such as page numbers and scale for the map series setup. 

Any help would be useful. I've tried clearing the display cache and saving/zooming in and out as suggested which didnt work. 

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Gareth,

Does the same thing happen if you add the feature class to a new map?

How about a new project?

Any clues in the Editing Status dialog? Edit ribbon > Manage Edits group > Status button will bring up the dialog.

Esri Technical Support can help narrow it down too.

Thanks,

Scott

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

In the end the solution was as simple as removing the feature class from the contents pane and reloading it from the catalog. 

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Glad to hear it!

0 Kudos