Is the Move tool broken for polygons?

Jump to solution
01-22-2020 08:45 AM
JeffWard
Occasional Contributor III

I keep trying to do things in Pro so that I can switch to using it full time but I keep hitting snags that make me lose confidence in it.

Like today, I'm trying to move a polygon feature, but it doesn't move. I go through all of the steps, select a polygon move the anchor, drag the polygon to a new location snapping it to another feature and click the finish check box, but it goes back to its original location and the tool says it was successful.

It works with points and lines, just not polygons.

Can anyone duplicate this?

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffWard

So it turns out it was a problem with having different layers in the same map pointing to different versions of my sde geodatabase that caused the problem. I had a few layers pointing to the default version and then the layers I was editing pointing to a child version. When I added just my editing layers to a different project and pointed them to the editing version I was able to move my polygons. I think the problem corrupted my original map, I am now unable to select any polygons for the move tool even after pointing all of my layers to my editing version. But if I insert a new map in the original project and add my editing layer, point it to the editing version, I can move polygons.

I guess I had better report a bug. Thanks for all of the input everyone.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah

View solution in original post

13 Replies
MatthewDriscoll
MVP Alum

I found that tool has a ton of problems too.  It is moving, but to see it you have to hit save and zoom in or out.  Makes for a very long session.  

JeffWard

Thanks Matthew, but I saved edits and zoomed in and out, polygon still stays in original location.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
MatthewDriscoll
MVP Alum

Bummer, I was just dealing with that yesterday and that work for me.  Try doing what Scott suggested it fixed my issue.  

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jeff,

I can't reproduce it, but try clearing the display cache to see if that makes a difference: Options > Display > check "Clear cache" > close and reopen the project.

Thanks,

Scott

MatthewDriscoll
MVP Alum

Thanks!  This fix the same problem for me.

JeffWard

No luck. I guess I should mention I'm editing the default version of an sde geodatabase. But points and lines in that same geodatabase move as directed.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
JeffWard

Correction, it's not the default version. I'm going to switch it to default and try that.

*edit* - The points and lines were in the default version and my polygons were in a child version.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
JeffWard

So it turns out it was a problem with having different layers in the same map pointing to different versions of my sde geodatabase that caused the problem. I had a few layers pointing to the default version and then the layers I was editing pointing to a child version. When I added just my editing layers to a different project and pointed them to the editing version I was able to move my polygons. I think the problem corrupted my original map, I am now unable to select any polygons for the move tool even after pointing all of my layers to my editing version. But if I insert a new map in the original project and add my editing layer, point it to the editing version, I can move polygons.

I guess I had better report a bug. Thanks for all of the input everyone.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for closing the loop. Please let me know if you end up submitting a bug with Tech Support. I'd be curious to know how to reproduce it.

Thanks,

Scott