Is the batch raster to polygon tool performance associated with the number of input rasters for conversion?

10-21-2021 03:59 AM
CarlosChique
New Contributor II

Hello All, 

I am using the Batch Raster to Polygon tool on Pro (2.8.3) and I have noticed that the performance of the tool (completion time) is severely restricted by amount of raster files that are put into the "queue" for conversion. This is an issue for me as I need to convert several raster packages (ideally I would input 365 individual rasters into the batch tool and repeat this several times). 

I have tried using the batch tool with different numbers of "input" rasters and I get this (quite consistent) results:

30 rasters = 10 min.

60 rasters  = 40  min.

180 rasters = 6 hours and 15 min.

Note that all rasters have similar data so this shouldn't affect processing from one set to another. 

As you can see, it would be much more efficient to do 30 rasters in each batch tool go, but you have to do this manually which in a way defeats the purpose of using a "batch" tool. 

Is there something I am missing? Something related to cache, specs (I have a very decent laptop), or anything else that might be causing longer processing times as the amount of "input" rasters increases? 

Would it be more efficient to do this outside ArcGIS Pro by running a python script? I find the batch tool handy as my python is not amazing.

I am converting rasters from one gdb to another if that makes a difference. 

Any feedback will be much appreciated!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

it is caching temporary results to disk when it runs out of memory

the size of the rasters and your memory will affect when this will occur

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
CarlosChique
New Contributor II

Hi Dan, 

Thank you for your reply.

Do you know if there is any way around this or this is just caveat that I have to live with? I could try another computer for processing too.... 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

you might want to get PerfTools for monitoring tool performance and see what is going on

How To: Use ArcGIS Pro PerfTools to measure performance of adding and rendering new layers (esri.com...

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos