Is it possible to export voxel layer sections?

12-15-2020 04:16 AM
SanderKiffen
New Contributor II

We have just started to use Voxel Layers and we are wondering if it's possible to export voxel layer sections. Firstly without any certain outputtype specified, but perhaps a multipatch (or 3D object) export. So we could share these sections in our organisation (as files and services).

Our current workflow is:

1. Receive a CSV from the Geotechnical department, load that data into ArcGIS Pro.

2. Use the Table to NetCDF geoprocessing tool, with x, y and z as domains  and a geological class as variable.

3. Create voxel layer sections at designated locations.

What we would like to do is share these sections as files to use in for instance AutoCAD Civil 3D. We have a FME installation to ETL whatever output to that designated output. But I currently can't find any export possibilities at all. On the long run it would also be great to share at least some sections in our GIS viewers.

Sections.JPG

4 Replies
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

Currently the only way you could export a section is if you add the scene to a layout and then position the scene to export to pdf etc. We will be working on this functionality in a future release to support exporting sections to a raster and exporting isosurfaces to a multipatch but this support wouldn't come until late next year or early the following year. As a side note we are currently working on supporting voxel layers in the web and we are targeting fall 2021 for that support and i'll try and circle back here when we have more concrete timelines.

thanks,

Andrew

SanderKiffen
New Contributor II

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your response, it's good to hear that you are working on both export functionality and support for voxel layers in the web. I'm impressed how 'smoothly' voxel layers (seeing how large the inputfiles are) operate. If you have a more concrete timeline for implementation of those features, I'd love to hear from you again.

Cheers,
Sander

David_Colombini
New Contributor II

Hello, 

Is there any update on this ability to export voxel sections?  I'd liek to be able to do this using ArcPy as well.

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi David,

Unfortunately, I don't have any other updates as higher priority items have taken precedence. If anything changes i'll be sure to post here.

thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos