Is it possible to create a street grid index map using only ArcGIS Pro?

Jump to solution
09-18-2020 08:42 AM
MatthewBeal
Occasional Contributor III

Here is an example of what I'm looking to do. The part I am really struggling with is how to associate the streets to the correct location in the grid. I'm not sure how to create the grid itself, and further more, I'm not sure how to create the border letters and numbers for the grid.

I have done something similar before using this tool in ArcMap, however I can't find the equivalent function in ArcGIS Pro. I appreciate any help!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LukasFalk
Esri Contributor

Hello Matthew,

There are a couple of tools that come to mind in ArcGIS Pro for creating grids.  The first is the Create Fishnet tool, which creates a fishnet of rectangular cells.  You can find information about this tool at the URLs below.  

Create Fishnet (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

How Create Fishnet works—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

An alternative to this tool would be the Grid Index Features tool.  This tool has the added benefit of enabling you to only create gird cells where another specified feature class exists.  You can find information on this tool at the URL below.  

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/cartography/grid-index-features.htm

I hope this helps!

Lukas 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
LukasFalk
Esri Contributor

Hello Matthew,

There are a couple of tools that come to mind in ArcGIS Pro for creating grids.  The first is the Create Fishnet tool, which creates a fishnet of rectangular cells.  You can find information about this tool at the URLs below.  

Create Fishnet (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

How Create Fishnet works—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

An alternative to this tool would be the Grid Index Features tool.  This tool has the added benefit of enabling you to only create gird cells where another specified feature class exists.  You can find information on this tool at the URL below.  

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/cartography/grid-index-features.htm

I hope this helps!

Lukas 

0 Kudos
MatthewBeal
Occasional Contributor III

Lukas, 

Thank you for sharing this. I was eventually able to get the Create Fishnet tool to do what I wanted. It was very finicky, however. I wanted to set my grid up to completely cover the map layout so that it would line up with the grid index on the layout. The first several variations of running the tool, the grid never perfectly covered map frame. It would always be slightly too big. The trick ended up being to just set the number of rows and columns desired rather than the height and width. That produced the desired results. I miss the ArcMap 'Create Grid Polygon Wizard'. That was much more intuitive! I hope to see a similar workflow return to Pro at some point. 

0 Kudos
JianwuChen
New Contributor II

First, I use SQL (specifically SQL Server spatial data type' method) to find street line feature class intersecting grid polygon feature class and save the result (street name and grid index) in a table. Then, I use python to format the result and create a EMF image file. Finally, I insert that EMF file into the layout of a .aprx to create a PDF map with street index table. See attachment Wards.pdf.

BretRowlinson1
New Contributor

What you have explained is exactly what I have been looking to do in order to automate the table updates better.  Doing it manually now.  Are you able to provide any samples of the SQL and/or Python that you are using for this?

Cheers!

Donald_EricPimpler
New Contributor II

Would you be willing to share the Python code you used to create the final street index?

MarkGambordella
New Contributor III

any luck on getting a code or workflow on creating the Street index grid map?