Intersect (Analysis) does not like "memory" workspaces. Is this a bug?

11-25-2022 12:05 AM
Labels (3)
Cristian_Galindo
Occasional Contributor III

I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.9, and trying to make some basic spatial operations.

Two sets of features were selected from a geodatabase, and using them, an intersection will be performed.

As it is not intended to persist this objects, the script use the "in_memory" workspace (it was done for the version 2.1 thinking in ArcDesktop).

Today, in an attempt to update the script with the new characteristics of the version 2.9, I found that the intersect tool does not like the memory workspaces.

Here is my evidence:

Cristian_Galindo_0-1669363433104.png

reading the documentation of the intersect tool, it does not mention a restriction for this kind of datasets.

Is this a bug? How do I report it?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
HannesZiegler
Esri Contributor

@Cristian_Galindo are you able to contact Technical Support Services? They will be able determine whether this is a bug and can file an internal issue if it is.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Have you checked whether the issue is with selecting?  If something isn't working correctly with Select, it may be there isn't anything selected for Intersect to operate on.

0 Kudos
Cristian_Galindo

As I posted as evidence, both scenarios are the same, the only difference is the location of the expected result. but in order to provide more evidence, i ran the scripts against an smaller dataset, and print the results:

Cristian_Galindo_0-1671442157917.png

0 Kudos
Cristian_Galindo

After some trial and error (not you pity documentation) I found that Intersect tool does not like "memory" (modern, state of the art) workspaces as INPUT, it does not care about the output:

Cristian_Galindo_1-1671442447018.png

0 Kudos
Cristian_Galindo

Additional Note:
The tool MakeRouteEventLayer does not like either the "memory" workspaces as input.

The documentation: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.9/tool-reference/linear-referencing/make-route-event-layer.htm 

does not state this.

0 Kudos