Inspections

06-24-2020 06:33 AM
MichaelFettkether
New Contributor

I feel like this is an easy question but I cannot figure it out.  I have a simple sewer map. Manholes and Mains. Added a related table to do inspections tied to a facility ID.  How do I visual show that the manhole has been inspected? I'd like to do something simple, like manhole dots change color from green to red.  But I'm open to suggestions. I have Arcgis Pro 2.5.1. & ArcGIS Online.  It would be nice to do it in the online version, but Pro is fine also.  

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Michael,

Luckily, an easy question that has an easy solution! Simply change the symbology of the manhole layer in the web map to symbolize based on a field rather than just location. Take a look at this page for more info:

Style categories—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation  

You might need to add a field to your data to indicate whether the facility has been inspected or not if you don't already have something like that (i.e. create a new text field called "inspected" and you can assign it domain values (attribute lists) to create drop-downs for "Yes" or "No").

Define attribute lists and ranges—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation 

Hope that helps, let me know if you have more questions!

-Katherine

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
MichaelFettkether
New Contributor

Ok, I follow all of this. The trouble I'm having though is the information is all in an inspection table and not the fields(Two separate data tables).  I cannot simply change the symbology as there is not a field for it. You mention creating a field, but is there a way to tie it together with the inspection table, so I don't have to do that manually?   I think somehow I have to Join or Relate the inspection table to a field in order to change the symbology.  I apologize as I'm still new at this and I'm certain that I'm not using the correct terminology.  

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Ok, so if I understand correctly, you have a hosted feature layer (point data) that doesn't really have any relevant attributes associated with it, and then you have a separate standalone table that contains all the information for that point (maybe things like facility ID, facility type, etc etc). Will you be using Collector or a Web Application to be editing data for this layer? Is there a reason that you have to have the data in a separate table, and you can't just have those as attributes of the actual point layer?

If you need to keep them separate, at the very least it seems like you could add an "Inspected" field like I suggested to the hosted feature layer which you can symbolize on.

If you're able to share the map I'd be happy to take a look and make sure I'm understanding your setup correctly, but not sure if you're allowed to do that or not.

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
MichaelFettkether
New Contributor

I cannot share the actual map. But see the link below.  I copied the table layouts. Maybe that will help.

Tables.xlsx - Google Drive 

To answer your questions, Yes, Point data with a separate stand alone table.  And I use collector currently.  You will see in the attached files, the data i'm collecting is different from the point information.

Yes, I could add "Inspected" field.  Can that be linked to the separate table?

0 Kudos