Improving Lag time Between Editing Tools

10-08-2019 03:06 PM
PeteJordan
Occasional Contributor III

When I'm editing in Pro, switching between say the line to an arc tool seems to have a bit of a lag before the next tool I select is enabled.  Often I am using hotkeys or keybinds ("accelerators" in Pro terms) and finding the lag which I didn't encounter in ArcMap to be a problem as I am finding I'm sitting and waiting for the tool to switch over and many times I have to undo the last thing I did because it didn't switch the tool over fast enough.

Granted I do have an older Windows 7 computer with 3.30GZ i5-4590 CPU and 16GB ram, but wasn't sure if that's part of the problem or if this just seems to be the norm in all of ArcPro regardless of computer power?

It reminds me in MS Office where it has a sort of animation when you type that to turn of you have to get into your windows Advanced Settings and change the Visual Effects to have Animate controls and elements inside windows off.

Just don't know if there is something I can do to stop this type of laggy issue which I feel might be linked to visually updating the editing toolbar when a new tool is selected?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Pete,

There is no setting that would affect how fast tools can switch.

I have a variety of questions though:

1. When you say "might be linked to visually updating the editing toolbar" do you mean the Tools gallery on the Edit tab? EDIT: I re-read your question and I realized that you are talking about the construction toolbar
  2. How long are you having to wait before a tool is ready to use?
  3. Which version of Pro?
  4. How many other layers are in the map? Are they all checked on as editable?
  5. Where is the data located that you are editing (some examples: file geodatabase on the C: drive, SQL Service database, ArcGIS Online hosted feature service)?
  6. Does it occur if you turn off the basemap?
  7. Does it occur in a new project?
  8. Does it occur with only one layer in the map?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
PeteJordan

Hey Scott, here's some answers for you:

1. When you say "might be linked to visually updating the editing toolbar" do you mean the Tools gallery on the Edit tab?

No the Editing Toolbar Construction Tool Bar (just saw your update on the name) I am talking about is the one that pops up on the screen that you can't move, but only choose to have it show up on the side or bottom or top on the map.

Editing

2. How long are you having to wait before a tool is ready to use?

From Line Tool to Arc Tool it can take between 1-4 seconds.  Arc Tool to Line Tool is usually under a second if not about a second.  A lot faster going back to the Line Tool.

3. Can you please provide a specific example of the tools you are switching from and to?

See above

4. Which version of Pro?

5. How many other layers are in the map? Are they all checked on as editable?

I have tried this out on several maps, ones that have just 1 layer with only a few line segments in it (Test file as we learn Arc Pro), to the one I'm actively working on that has about 14 layers, not all turned on and only 1 that is editable and selectable.

6. Where is the data located that you are editing (some examples: file geodatabase on the C: drive, SQL Service database, ArcGIS Online hosted feature service)?

Test one is just on my C/Drive, and the other one is in SDE.  Again, no difference and get the same issues in both maps.

7. Does it occur if you turn off the basemap?

This occurs when I only have 1 layer and no basemap

8. Does it occur in a new project?

New Project created soley in ArcPro and an imported project from ArcMap

9. Does it occur with only one layer in the map?

It occurs with every editable layer in all maps regardless.

So hope that helps, but it's just a lag issue when using the keybind I have set for the Arc Segment and Line.  Since Finish is on that same toolbar it response in less than a second as well.  It just seems the issue is worst switching to the Arc Segment via a keybind (accelerator).

Hope this helps a bit...

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for all the info, Pete. I'll test it out on my end. What is the keyboard combination you have assigned to Arc Segment and Line? It could be an important detail.. not sure yet.

0 Kudos
PeteJordan

Yeah I'm currently using CTRL-E for my Line and CTRL-Q for the Arc Segment as I had in ArcMap.  I have realized keybinding in Pro isn't as efficient and doesn't work anywhere near as good as in ArcMap...

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

I wonder how you are able to use CTRL-E without the Export Map dialog popping up. That's what happens for me. Could that be a clue here? Have you tried to bind Line to another key combination as a test?

0 Kudos
PeteJordan

Oooops my bad, it's CTRL-Q for the Arc Segment and CTRL-W for the Line.  I realized this morning that the CTRL-E is hard coded and can't be changed from the "esri_sharing_ExportMap", among many other keys I used to be able to keybind in ArcMap and no longer can in Pro...

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Does the same issue occur without using the accelerator to activate the tools?

0 Kudos
PeteJordan

No just pressing the icon on the Construction Tool Bar is fine.  I also noticed keybinding the Right Angle Line Tool, works just as fast as the Line tool is, so that works fine.  Seems it's only an issue with the Arc Segment.  Also after doing more tests, sometimes the Arc Segment Tool won't even activate when I press the hotkey (Ctrl-Qand I have to press it a few times and wait till it activates...

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for that info, Pete. CTRL-Q increases the roam speed, so perhaps it's interfering with your accelerator? That's my best guess so far.

Keyboard shortcuts for navigation—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop