Select to view content in your preferred language

Importing symbology scheme - layer disappears

06-10-2024 11:03 PM
AnnaNicolaC
New Contributor II

Hello,

I'm trying to import a symbology scheme from one layer and use it in a new layer. I'm sure all my settings are correct in the Apply Symbology from Layer pane and I get a notification saying that the process was successful, but then the new layer disappears from the map. The layer's details are still visible in the Contents pane, but when I click the box to make it visible on the map the layer is not there. Has anybody else had this problem? Thanks very much.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

there are lots of conditions that must be met, you will have to elaborate on them given your inputs

Apply Symbology From Layer (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Import symbology from another layer—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
AnnaNicolaC
New Contributor II

Thanks very much for the reply and the links.

If the conditions are not met, is it usual for the layer to just disappear? Won't it give an error message?

I'm pretty sure the conditions have been met though. The data are from an ESRI tutorial book (Getting to Know ArcGIS Pro 2.8, Exercise 3B, Import Layer Symbology) and I'm sure I followed the steps in the tutorial okay.

The layer I'm importing the symbology to is a copy of the first layer, with only the field changed in the graduated colour scheme. 

0 Kudos
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor

The criteria for symbolization returns a value in the source layer, so it displays something.
The criteria for symbolizing the second layer does not return a value, so nothing displays.

Think of  your symbology criteria as a query, and verify that the "query" returns a true value for display.