Importing custom style from ArcGIS Desktop into ArGIS Pro

03-18-2021 11:01 AM
Labels (2)
JohnDunham
New Contributor II

In ArcGIS Desktop 10.8.1, I have a custom style with hundreds of custom symbols that I use in my mapping—a combination of labels, line symbols, marker symbols and text symbols, among other things. Examples are custom state highway signs, fill symbols, and line symbols. I imported the style to Pro 2.7.2, but the only symbology that imported successfully was the set of three marker symbols. I have compared the symbology in both the Desktop and Pro versions of the styles to see if something in the other Desktop symbols needed to be changed to import successfully, but I don’t see that the marker symbols that imported are different in all ways than the symbols that didn’t import. Any input is appreciated—I’m hoping to avoid having to recreate the entire style in Pro.

1 Reply
JohnDunham
New Contributor II

I may have solved my own problem, or at least discovered a workaround. As an experiment, I made copies of my custom style, added them in ArcGIS Desktop, and deleted all but one symbol type—leaving only marker symbols, text symbols, etc. I imported a few of these styles, and they worked. I don’t like that one style file from Desktop will end up being 5 or 6 in Pro, but I figure it's a lot better than having to recreate the symbols in Pro.