Import domain code/description to metadata

05-02-2022 01:07 PM
SFM_TravisBott
Occasional Contributor III

Is there a way to import domain code/description into a feature class's metadata?

Once can import a domain to the geodatabase itself using Domain to Table/Table to Domain, but I can't find a way to import that same domain into the feature classes metadata. 

Some of those domains have dozens of options and it would be horrendous if Esri's designed/implied workflow was to type each of them manually....

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Not a direct method. However, you can do it by using the Domain to Table function and exporting the domain to a table.  Then open that table and copy the Domain values and pasting them into the Metadata

0 Kudos
SFM_TravisBott

Thanks, Robert. That would save literally typing each out, but there would still be a copy/paste for each code and then for each description. I have domains with dozens of options and that's still not practical. 

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

If you select all values from the domain to table table it should literally be one copy, one paste

RobertBorchert_0-1651592801995.png

RobertBorchert_1-1651592922875.png

RobertBorchert_2-1651593131606.png

COPY

PASTE

RobertBorchert_3-1651593233287.png

Though it may work easier to create your metadata description in Word and then paste it all at once. 

RobertBorchert_4-1651593349192.png

0 Kudos
SFM_TravisBott

@RobertBorchert I see what you're saying but you're updating the domain in the item description, which is an open text field. That's not really what that's for. It's a wide dataset with a whole host of fields, several of which have long domains. To put all of those in open text is impractical. 

Our org uses FGDC format. Each code/description combination for each item it domain has its own text box, making copy/paste all at once impossible. Each 'enumerated domain' is a single code/value description that needs to be added individually if they don't carry over automatically (which is in itself perplexing, since it's not consistent. See below. 

SFM_TravisBott_1-1651765824480.png

What there needs to be  is a button to import a domain from a table or gdb into the metadata.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Oh I see.  That would make it cumbersome. 

Have you asked FGDC.gov if they have a solution? 

Out of curiosity is there a domain entry under metadata rather than resource. 

Seems impractical to have to add a new domain for each domain value.

Does your application not work if you don't pre-define the values?

0 Kudos