Images appear in wrong location

Jump to solution
09-27-2023 03:47 PM
Labels (1)
YukunXing
New Contributor III

DEM tiles and tile index appear misaligned when added to either ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro.

Same data align perfectly in QGIS. 

Is this a known issue? If so, is there a fix users can apply? I hope the answer is yes because otherwise I need to learn how to do the necessary processing in QGIS which I currently know nothing about.

Tile index can be downloaded here:

The National Map (prd-tnm.s3.amazonaws.com

And here are a couple sample DEM tiles:

https://prd-tnm.s3.amazonaws.com/StagedProducts/Elevation/OPR/Projects/KY_Eastern_2019_A19/KY_Easter...

https://prd-tnm.s3.amazonaws.com/StagedProducts/Elevation/OPR/Projects/KY_Eastern_2019_A19/KY_Easter...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjones_esriau
Esri Contributor

It looks like a bug and you should reach out to Esri Support.

ArcGIS Pro doesnt seem to be setting the projection correctly on the image layer. e.g the spatial reference authority is showing as 'custom' whereas it should be wkid: 6350.

You can fix this by defining the projection for the layer, with the gp tool, to use epsg: 6350 (NAD_1983_2011_Contiguous_USA_Albers / VCS:NAVD_1988)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
sjones_esriau
Esri Contributor

It looks like a bug and you should reach out to Esri Support.

ArcGIS Pro doesnt seem to be setting the projection correctly on the image layer. e.g the spatial reference authority is showing as 'custom' whereas it should be wkid: 6350.

You can fix this by defining the projection for the layer, with the gp tool, to use epsg: 6350 (NAD_1983_2011_Contiguous_USA_Albers / VCS:NAVD_1988)

0 Kudos
YukunXing
New Contributor III

Thank you so much, I learned something today. I never paid much attention to the "Authority" field and didn't think it mattered, especially when the name of the CS and parameters appear recognized. Running the data through the Define Projection Tool and specifying the CS with the WKID as you suggested worked perfectly. 

0 Kudos