Select to view content in your preferred language

Identify tool not working correctly

05-24-2024 12:26 PM
civilappraisal
New Contributor

I'm having trouble with the Identify tool working intermittently or not working at all.  This occurs over multiple projects.  I have features I want to see attributes of from the pop-up from identifying.  The layer of interest is selectable and I've used multiple options from the Explore drop-down.  When I try to identify a feature the little "Identifying..." window shows for a few seconds then disappears then nothing.  Or, the "Identifying..." window shows, then some features flash (the wrong feature, the correct feature, or all of them), then nothing.  If it works at all it identifies the wrong layer and multiple attempts are needed till finally it gets the layer I want identified.  Or, I try to identify a feature and it tries to identify another feature not where I clicked.  Using ArcGIS Pro 3.1.3.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hello there!  Seeing a lot of these "upgraded to 3.3" items appear in the Esri Community.  One thing I always do on the upgrade checklist is to do a soft reset of ArcGIS Pro when going from 3.x to the newest release.  You can learn more about it here - How To: Perform an ArcGIS pro Soft Reset (esri.com)

0 Kudos
civilappraisal
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  I did try the "soft reset" solution without the registry edit.  It did not help.

I've been experimenting with my problem and I think I've found the issue.  In my work I often need to join a large table from hundreds to 10s of thousands of rows to a feature class, removing unmatched features.  When I apply a Graduated Color symbology to that layer is when the identifying problem starts.  Even other layers get the identify problem.  When I remove that Graduated Color symbology or switch the symbology to Unique Values the identify problem goes away.   This year my team upgraded from ArcMap 10.6 and did not have this problem before.  Maybe the large join of data coupled with Graduated Color symbology is overloading ArcGIS Pro? 

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

It's possible.  One thing to try is in a new ArcGIS Pro project file, add the feature class first, use the identify tool.  The apply the Graduated Color symbology and use the identify tool.  Then create the Join between the layer and the non-spatial table and use the identify tool.  Where does the system break down?  

0 Kudos
Maine
by
New Contributor

I've been having this same issue ever since upgrading to Pro v3.3.1. I use the Identify tool all the time, so this has been very frustrating. Instead of delivering the value of that point, it confirms the single point with a brief highlight, queries, then returns a window displaying the values of every point in the layer. I've tried all the different ways of setting "Explore" (visible only, top layer only, etc) with no success. I've resorted to labeling everything, in order to get individual data points. This makes a big mess in my project. I tried civilappraisal's fix of displaying as Unique Values, but this did not solve it. Nor does it help to change it to Single Symbol or Graduated symbology.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

@Maine - by chance are you using the Explore tool on a temporary layer (create layer from selected features)?  If so, there is BUG-000168426 - In ArcGIS Pro, when a feature in a (temporary) layer made up of selected features (created by first making a selection of features on a feature layer using Select By Attributes, and then right click on the layer > Selection > Make Layer From Selected Features)) is selected by the Explore tool (using a left mouse-click), the corresponding pop-out will show attributes for all the features within the layer and not just for the selected feature.

0 Kudos