I want to overlap labels; is it possible?

Jump to solution
05-11-2022 10:29 AM
Labels (1)
ChristopherTalbot
New Contributor III

Hello, 

I would like the labels to overlap but cannot figure out how to get arc to cooperate. 

I would like the larger labels to place over the top of the smaller; then I will make transparent. 

I tried many combinations of placement, priority and, weights with similar result. *Please see below*

some of the labels successfully squeeze around and some just will not show. It seems there is  a minimum font size as well- 1pt- is it not possible to make smaller than 1?

is there a way to let these labels overlap?

any other ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated

Thank you in advance

Sincerely, 

overlapping_yes.jpgoverlapping_no.jpg

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

What I would do is for the larger labels in your images is convert those to an annotation feature class.  As an anno feature class, you can edit/move/set a transparency for that layer.  For the layer with smaller fonts, keep that as label property and keep the annotation feature weight zero.  That should work.

View solution in original post

JesseWickizer
Esri Contributor

Use the Background label property for one of your label classes to have them placed first and allow other labels to be placed overlapping them. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

What I would do is for the larger labels in your images is convert those to an annotation feature class.  As an anno feature class, you can edit/move/set a transparency for that layer.  For the layer with smaller fonts, keep that as label property and keep the annotation feature weight zero.  That should work.

JesseWickizer
Esri Contributor

Use the Background label property for one of your label classes to have them placed first and allow other labels to be placed overlapping them. 

ChristopherTalbot
New Contributor III

Thank you all for the excellent ideas!

The Background label worked perfectly

0 Kudos