How to use ArcGIS Pro with SQLite

01-30-2015 02:44 AM
LarsLarsen
New Contributor II

As far as I can see there is no direct support for SQLLite in Pro. Is that a planned feature ? Can I access SQLite through phyton and import data as layers that way?

20 Replies
BradleyAndrick3
New Contributor III

Is there any update on this? I would like to open a sqlite geodatabase (a ".geodatabase" file) in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Brad

0 Kudos
LanceShipman
Esri Regular Contributor

Sqlite, SpatiaLite and GeoPackages are supported in Pro. Mobile Geodatabases (.geodatabase) support is being considered for a later release, but not in the Pro 2.1 currently under development.

Lance

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I think mobile geodatabases (.geodatabase) are great, SQLite meets geodatabase.  Does Esri have plans to support native access within the desktop clients instead of having to convert back and forth between file geodatabases?

0 Kudos
MalcolmMeyer
New Contributor III

Confirmed. I have successfully created both a Spatialite and GeoPackage database. However, I cannot edit the data...getting a 'not registered in the Database' error. I try to register the data and that also errors out. Is it possible to edit SQLite databases in Pro, and if so how does one do this?

0 Kudos
LanceShipman
Esri Regular Contributor

Editing SQLite data is not currently supported in ArcMap or Pro. We are looking at it for a later (post 2.1) release.

Lance

0 Kudos
MalcolmMeyer
New Contributor III

Great. It would be helpful to have that clarified either here - Supported data types and items—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop  or here - Work with SQLite databases in ArcGIS Pro—Help | ArcGIS Desktop, would have saved me asking in this forum.

0 Kudos
AZendel
Occasional Contributor III

Still doesn't look like SQLite is editable in Pro 2.3. Any news/speculation about future releases?

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

I don't think there's going to be any rush for sqlite support anytime soon. Many organizations are blocking it from the network, too many security holes. 

https://www.cvedetails.com/vendor/9237/Sqlite.html

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Let's not advertise then that GeoPackage is built on top of SQLite.

In defense of SQLite, it isn't any more prone to issues than most software, and the group behind SQLite does address vulnerabilities fairly quickly.  If having CVE entries was sufficient to block software from the network, I am not sure how many applications would remain on the network.

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

There was something specific about one of the entries, and how it was fixed (or not), that put it in "jail". 

0 Kudos