How to split a line segment and simply delete what you don't want?

Jump to solution
02-21-2019 06:07 AM
APaulsen
Occasional Contributor

Have several line segments representing transmission conductor generated on a sequential numbering of structures. Due to this I need to clean up some lines jumping across the map. I split the line at each structure and then want to delete the line in between though that does not seem to work. Coming form a CAD environment you would think trim next correct? What tool can perform this simple task and are their any video tutorials out there on demonstrating all the modify feature tools?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Andrew so it is more complicated than trimming?

Trim Line—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarkShymanski
New Contributor III

Good morning Andrew,

It sounds like you have an interesting data clean-up to do.  A significant difference between GIS and CAD is that the lines (and other shapes) may actually have data associated with them and that altering the data without consideration what those changes will do to the data can quickly cause significant problems.  What attribution is attached to the lines that are 'jumping across the map'?  Are they part of the distribution network data or are they just graphic anomalies?  Do the conductor lines participate in a network routing database?  If they do you will need to understand how deleting segments of the network will affect any analysis done after the editing. 

With respect on videos explaining the mechanical operation of the GIS tools, ESRI's help windows are pretty useful, as well if you Google 'ESRI line editing tools' or something similar you may find the videos you are looking for.

HTH,

Mark

0 Kudos
APaulsen
Occasional Contributor

Mark - Correct, lots of cleanup while paralleling on going asset shuffling. At the moment graphic anomalies (strictly assets and lengths). They are not part of a network routing database (utility connectivity? believe we are choosing a different product for that). These were generated based off our current database, conductor segments between switches or stations and when we rebuild sections, the structure numbers go from XXX to XXXR so no duplication would occur. Our consultant generated these jumping from structure to structure sequentially, though the problem is the XXXR could be in a different line segment prior to jumping back to the next structure. I am simply trying to shave, snip, clip, and edit these to reroute the lines on the correct structures and get rid of the unwanted jogs. What's the secret to making a task that sounds easy, easy?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Andrew so it is more complicated than trimming?

Trim Line—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
APaulsen
Occasional Contributor

Dan - It might not be. Still learning the quirks with Pro. I restarted and the trim tool works. Frustrating.

0 Kudos