How to not cover marker symbols with leader lines?

Jump to solution
05-30-2023 05:06 PM
davedoesgis
Occasional Contributor III

In Pro, how do I get the leader lines to not cover up the marker symbol? Here is a zoomed-in screenshot of what is happening. I want it to just stop at the edge of the marker symbol, rather than going all the way to the center.

dcafdg_0-1685490506848.png

Here is an illustration of what I'm trying to do in the next screenshot. Note how the leader line stops just short of the marker symbol.

dcafdg_1-1685491321444.png

I created that screenshot with anno and moved the anchor point. While that achieves what I'm after, I don't want to have to do it for each feature.

13 Replies
JacksonTrappett
Occasional Contributor II

This is an awesome solution!  Thank you for posting it.  Hopefully, OP will switch this to the selected solution for the thread.

davedoesgis

@JacksonTrappett- The solution looks good, but I just don't have time to test this right now. If I have time to test it later, I will, but I delivered that project and on to the next one.

0 Kudos
AniKasch
New Contributor

Yes! This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you Jesse! Much easier than creating a whole new feature class as the above solution refers to. So many little things to know.

0 Kudos
davedoesgis

I accidentally discovered a remarkably simple solution: If you create anno from your labels, just drag the point layer above the anno layer in the draw order. The leader lines are part of the anno layer, so now they will be covered by the points.

This draw order may not always work, but I think it would be fine for most of the maps I make.

Also note that your marker symbol would need to a solid fill to fully cover the leader line. This is also rarely an issue for me, but something to think about.

0 Kudos