How to modify the shared edge of adjacent polygons with Pro 2.2.4?

04-15-2019 09:35 AM
DouglasMiskowiak
New Contributor II

I'm using ArcGIS Pro v 2.2.4 to digitize polygon features.  I'm attempting to modify the edge of an adjacent polygon and wish for the connected edges and vertices to follow.  I have the map topology selected from the Manage Edits group, yet the process fails.  What am I missing here?  Attachments show the two adjacent polygons.  

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

On the Edit core tab, click the Modify command in the Features group to open the Modify Features pane.  In the Modify Features pane, click the Reshape command under the Reshape group.  In the Reshape pane, click Edge and then select a topological edge or node.  Reshape the feature as you wish.  All topologically shared features should update accordingly.

DouglasMiskowiak
New Contributor II

Reshape does not accomplish moving a shared node or vertex.  In my image I show that I desire to move a vertex that is shared by multiple edges.  When I move the vertex these shared edges do not follow.  

I've used reshape to successfully reshape an edge, but that doesn't help me with the problem I've described.  

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Correct.  If you want to move a topological node, the workflow may be found here.  If you're looking to move a vertex that is shared, then click Vertices in the Reshape group, click Edge in the Edit Vertices pane, select an edge.  All vertices are visible and can be move.  Click the Green check on the toolbar located at the bottom of your map view to commit the edit.  Then click Save.

0 Kudos
DouglasMiskowiak
New Contributor II

Thanks.  Yes, that does work so long as the vertex remains snapped along another edge.  As soon as the vertex is no longer connected to the edge, the operation fails.  Interesting that other vertices from other edges remain put.  Using ArcMap the underlying vertices of both/all connected edges followed.  Does that not happen with Pro?  

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

There's an enhancement request for this workflow - not sure of it's status.

ENH-000114278 : ArcGIS Pro - Ability to grab a vertex(edit with Map topology) and able to move the edges at the same time which is share with the vertex to the new location.

0 Kudos
DouglasMiskowiak
New Contributor II

Thank you for addressing my question.  I'll look forward to the enhancement.  

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Have you ever tried to use the Align Edge tool to perform this type of work?

Align a topology edge—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos