Select to view content in your preferred language

How to download multiple shapefiles from USGS

a week ago
JohnBobbitt
New Contributor

I need to download the shapefiles from this URL: https://mrdata.usgs.gov/geology/state/geog-units.html 

I need the individual shapefiles for each geological unit, which are .zip files buried three levels deep. And, there are dozens of them for each state.

Is there a way to download multiple shapefiles from the USGS site without going through the maze of pages to get there?

Note that the available kml files and GIS files for the STATE distinguish the geologic units but are not editable.

Thanks a heap,

-jbb

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BobBooth1
Esri Contributor

This page has download by state:

https://mrdata.usgs.gov/geology/state/

by-state-shapefile-andcsv.png

0 Kudos
JohnBobbitt
New Contributor

Thanks Bob. But I can't edit the ArcGIS Pro map (below) produced from the file from that URL.

JohnBobbitt_1-1718721116586.png

I need to edit each geologic unit: change color, pattern, name/label; make group layers; and change drawing order, as shown:

JohnBobbitt_1-1718720145769.png

The editable shapefiles for each geologic unit are available at the URL below, but it takes 3 more clicks to get to the download page to get a single shapefile. I need to download all the files shown below, there are dozens for each state.

JohnBobbitt_3-1718720282587.png

There has to be a way. Thanks again,

-jbb

0 Kudos
BobBooth1
Esri Contributor

John,

Not sure which map you're referring to or how you produced it.

What I would suggest is:

1. Download the state zipped shapefile + CSVs from the page I linked to.

2. Extract the zipfile to a local folder.

3. Open a brand new ArcGIS Pro project.

4. Make a folder connection to the folder where you extracted the shapefile and CSVs.

5. Add the shapefile and CSVs to your map in ArcGIS Pro.

6.  Right-click the polygon layer, click Joins and Relates, Add Join.

7. Join the units CSV to the polygons on the UNIT_LINK/unit_link field.

8. Symbolize the layer using unique values.

9. Edit the symbology however you like.

Yes, the data is all in one layer.

If it is a requirement for you that the data be split into multiple layers, by unit, you could use Split by Attribute to split it out into a bunch of different feature classes and add them to the map.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/analysis/split-by-attributes.htm

JohnBobbitt
New Contributor

Thanks again;

The map produced using your method produces the following map (thanks! I'm a novice). Note that I can't edit the label, drawing order, &tc., or group the units. I can change the color.

JohnBobbitt_0-1718822982308.png

The map I was referring to (below) I produced by downloading the individual .zip files (3 levels deep) for each unit, extracting those files (to 5 files including .shp file), and using "ADD DATA" to navigate to the .shp file. This is what I want to automate, starting with multiple downloads from the USGS.

This gives me the ability to sort and group units by age or lithology, &tc., to edit the color and pattern, to turn select units and groups on or off, and to copy the units and load in other maps.

JohnBobbitt_1-1718824068730.png

Thanks again for your responses. The tech help email address at the USGS site doesn't appear to be monitored.

-jbb

0 Kudos
BobBooth1
Esri Contributor

Aha, well, if you want the data in separate layers, Split by Attribute should get you there.

0 Kudos