How to display raster mosaic dataset at all scales?

Jump to solution
3 weeks ago
MattWilkie1
Occasional Contributor III

How to get Pro to display contents of a Raster Mosaic Dataaset at all scales (zoom levels)?

In ArcMap there was a preference to show only images a catalog when fewer than 9/16/.../999 tiles in display area. I haven't been able to find the Pro equivalent.

MattWilkie1_0-1714588441024.pngMattWilkie1_1-1714588446951.png

The source images are Cloud Optimized Geotiff, so there are guaranteed overviews for all scales. Here's a VRT of the same images, it displays in Pro near instantly at all scales after the initial few ~2 second load:

MattWilkie1_2-1714589638492.png

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
MattWilkie1

Building overviews did fix the lack of display problem. It only took a minute on a 9 gigapixel mosaic, so the tool must be smart enough to leverage the existing COG pyramids. That's a relief and one concern of mine put to rest (don't create duplicates).

I'd still like to locate the max raster property. It's not in Set Raster Properties or Set Mosaic Dataset Properties gp tools. The latter does have 'columns/rows_maximum_imagesize' and I tried various numbers from -1 to 1000 to 8000 to 100000 with each having no apparent effect.  (The mosaic is ~12,000 x 12,000 px.)

On the troublshooting trail I also encountered  the very interesting Some raster images created using the Create Mosaic Dataset tool are not displayed in ArcMap. That's not the problem here but I've definitely seen that before, and not that long ago. My cure previously was to delete and recreate the mosaic datasets.    and....there it is, use ArcCatalog to get at the max raster setting. That and all the other properties can be set there, and faster and easier then using the Pro gp tool.

MattWilkie1_0-1714683375395.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
mody_buchbinder

It can be done in Pro, no need for ArcCatalog

a1.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mody_buchbinder

Hi

You should build overviews. If you must see original data (why?) there is property of max raster to show (default is 20) but this will slow the display

0 Kudos
MattWilkie1

where/how is the max raster property set?

0 Kudos
MattWilkie1

Building overviews did fix the lack of display problem. It only took a minute on a 9 gigapixel mosaic, so the tool must be smart enough to leverage the existing COG pyramids. That's a relief and one concern of mine put to rest (don't create duplicates).

I'd still like to locate the max raster property. It's not in Set Raster Properties or Set Mosaic Dataset Properties gp tools. The latter does have 'columns/rows_maximum_imagesize' and I tried various numbers from -1 to 1000 to 8000 to 100000 with each having no apparent effect.  (The mosaic is ~12,000 x 12,000 px.)

On the troublshooting trail I also encountered  the very interesting Some raster images created using the Create Mosaic Dataset tool are not displayed in ArcMap. That's not the problem here but I've definitely seen that before, and not that long ago. My cure previously was to delete and recreate the mosaic datasets.    and....there it is, use ArcCatalog to get at the max raster setting. That and all the other properties can be set there, and faster and easier then using the Pro gp tool.

MattWilkie1_0-1714683375395.png

0 Kudos
mody_buchbinder

It can be done in Pro, no need for ArcCatalog

a1.png

0 Kudos
MattWilkie1

how are you getting to that dialog? I see something quite different:

MattWilkie1_0-1715012083736.png

0 Kudos
MattWilkie1

doh! nevermind. One needs to use right-click context menu from a Catalog view or panel and not a Map view. Count me another victim of familiarity blindness.