How to copy-paste into attribute table from Excel

Jump to solution
07-05-2019 10:19 PM
IsabelleWolf
New Contributor II

I would like to copy and paste values (eg. an Excel column) to an ArcGIS Pro Attribute table.

According to Edit an active table—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop , this should work as follows: "Copy the information from the other application that you need to the clipboard. Highlight the starting cell in your database table inside ArcGIS Pro and paste the values using Ctrl+V or right-click and click Paste."

However this does not do anything in my table. Also I noted that when I right-click in a cell of an attribute table, I do not get a context menu for copy paste?

Any thoughts on this?

Thank you, Isi

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Isi, are you in ArcGIS Pro 2.4?  Much of the table editing experience was improved in that (the latest) version. 

As for the editing comment, you are correct that there is no need to explicitly start an edit session - but technically an edit session does exist as you are able to undo edits before saving them.  Here is a blog that will hopefully help to demystify how editing in Pro works: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-pro/data-management/dont-fret-it-just-edit/

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Then paste in excel will work properly

IsabelleWolf
New Contributor II

Thanks heaps, Dan, this answers another question I had about copying from ArcGIS Pro to Excel!

However, how does the following work:

I add a new field and therefore have empty cells in this field (see image), which I now like to fill by copying a column from Excel into ArcGIS Pro?

And similarly, I add a new field and therefore have empty cells in this field, and would like to lets say copy the value of one cell in ArcGIS Pro to all the other cells of this column.

Thank you again, Isabelle

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I don't know, I only use excel when I have to, but if you can I suspect you have to select the cells in excel (not just the column) and you would probably have to be in an edit session in Pro

0 Kudos
IsabelleWolf
New Contributor II

Thanks, Dan, I tried all that, unfortunately to no avail. In saying that, why would you need an edit session in Pro. It seems different to ArcMap since you do not have to start editing, you simply edit, or have I missed something?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Isi, are you in ArcGIS Pro 2.4?  Much of the table editing experience was improved in that (the latest) version. 

As for the editing comment, you are correct that there is no need to explicitly start an edit session - but technically an edit session does exist as you are able to undo edits before saving them.  Here is a blog that will hopefully help to demystify how editing in Pro works: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-pro/data-management/dont-fret-it-just-edit/

IsabelleWolf
New Contributor II

Thanks so much, Kory, great suggestion. Just updated to 2.4, and guess what, table editing works now! must have been a bug in the previous version. thanks stacks and happy GIS'ing.

Isi

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Cool!  I'm glad that worked.  It wasn't a bug, the functionality just hadn't been built into Pro yet.... until 2.4.

LOTs and lots of stuff was added in 2.4, including a ton of customer ideas: https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas/blog/2019/06/21/ideas-in-arcgis-pro-24

Cheers!

IsabelleWolf
New Contributor II

Great to know/get the link. Thanks, Kory. Do you know if the functionality of being able to copy the value from one cell in an attribute table to several cells will be integrated as well? Or does it already exist and I have somehow missed it? Similarly, the functionality to copy one column in an ArcGIS Pro attribute table into Excel (I seem to only be able to copy several/all rows and then paste into Excel which pastes all columns).

Thank you again, Isabelle