How to convert big kml file with folders/subfolders to layers

07-27-2022 02:27 AM
Labels (3)
MirjetaMiftari
New Contributor

Hi Team,

I am new at ArcGis Pro, and I am working on a project where I have tone big kml file that has loads of folders and subfolders. I am trying to convert them into layers but If I use convert kml to layers then I will have only points, polylines and polygones but folders will disappear. I want to look same configuration as the kml.

The reason why I am doing that is because I need to publish the kml to ArcGis online and seemed cannot published the kml as it it from arcgis pro but need to convert first into layers.

Can you help? It is quite urgent

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi, unfortunately there is not a lot of straight-forward compatibility between KML/KMZ layers and Esri's geodatabase feature classes. Your best bet, albeit a slow one, is to break the KML up into separate KMLs and then import those one at a time into ArcGIS Pro in order to publish them online.

Another possible option is to just import the big KML into ArcGIS Pro, and then break it up in Pro into separate feature classes to make it mimic the KML look. They don't even have to be separate feature classes - they can be copies of the same KML-feature class that have definition queries applied to them.

0 Kudos