Select to view content in your preferred language

How to clean up vertices on a line

Jump to solution
09-21-2021 03:48 AM
AshleyPattersonTheMapNERD
New Contributor III

Hi Friends,

I am going in circles with this and it's a real head-scratcher for me.  My boss doesn't enjoy lines with a lot of vertices left and he wants me to clean them up but I have been unsuccessful thus far. 

In this example of my work, I am drawing in sidewalks in a Cul de sac and following the aerials.  That means that the lines are not perfectly circular so using those drawing options and the Cul de sac tools are not options. Following the terrain results in vertices left in the line. I have tried every tool on the internet y'all and I need your help.  

Vertex Question  for ESRI.JPG

When I use the Delete Veretex tool- it deletes the vertex alright- but then the line Boings out. (There are unfortunately no Boing sound effects).

Vertex Question  for ESRI Post Delete Vertex.JPG

As you can see that doesn't work.  I have tried every trick on the internet so dig deep friends and give me something solid that you know that the internet doesn't?

H-E-L-P 

Thanks a whole bunch Y'all!

From, Ashley the Map Nerd 

The Map NERD
0 Kudos
13 Replies
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

If time/money is a constraint, I also think what you have digitized is close enough.  However, if you do have a chance to replace the circular part with a true curve, it would look better and with fewer vertices in the data.

The driveways might have interrupted your seeing the perfect circle. Here I took your image and drew a red circle over the cul-de-sac. Now you can see how well the circle fits the shape, including driveway crossings. So, it can be a true curve with the two vertices (at the blue squares roughly) in geodatabase. 🙂

DanLee_1-1632237374206.png

New Contributor III

Thank you! The visual aid certainly helps a lot! You are right that the driveways got me but also I was far more zoomed-in leaving me to not see the bigger picture- thank you! Sometimes my attention to detail backfires on me 🙂 lol! 

Thanks a bunch! 

The Map NERD
0 Kudos
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

You are welcome! Glad you asked. Now you have a new perspective. 🙂

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

Awe thanks for the support, I am relatively new to GIS and know that my questions are juvenile compared to many here. Everyone has been so kind and supportive that it makes me excited to learn more so I can help the next newbie and it makes me open to asking more questions. Thanks a bunch! 

The Map NERD
0 Kudos