How to change legend item patch alignment to match text alignment

10-20-2023 12:10 PM
MarkWasser
New Contributor II

I have a legend in an ArcGIS Pro (3.1.2) layout with a single layer where the Layer Name, Heading, and Labels are all shown. I would like to center align everything. Itʻs easy enough to change the alignment of the text items, but how do I change the patch alignment as well?! 

I need to do about 20-30 times for all the different species I am making occurrence maps for, so converting to graphics and manually adjusting is not really feasible. 

Screenshot examples below. First is default / left aligned. Second is with all text change to center aligned, but I need the patches to be center aligned as well and I cannot figure out how to change. 

MarkWasser_0-1697828903132.pngMarkWasser_1-1697828915843.png

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Not exactly what you're looking for but it's close'ish.  In the Elements pane for Legend, click Show Properties.  In the Type dropdown, choose Vertical.  It will look something like this below...

LegendPatchCenterJustified.JPG

0 Kudos
MarkWasser
New Contributor II

Hi @Robert_LeClair  - sorry but this doesn't really help (see below for what it looks like)....I would like it centered on the width of the entire legend patch, which is being dictated by my layer name which is the widest element. It would be very helpful if there was an option for horizontal alignment for patches the same way there is for text elements in a legend. I have resigned myself to converting to graphics and doing it manually for all 20 legends I have to make... 

MarkWasser_0-1698171822980.png

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Understand - thx for the response.  One thing I've done differently in the image below for center justification is for the Legend Item, expand Indents and change the indent values for Layer Name, Heading and Classes.  I did 50 pt and the result is below.  Getting closer...
LegendPatchCenterJustified2.JPG

0 Kudos
MarkWasser
New Contributor II

Yes, agreed. I can get it there with idents but in this case I was hoping for a non-manual solution as I need to repeat this for 20 different species with 20 different legends (all from a single legend template, they just get turned on one at a time for map export for the different species). I wonder if a different fitting strategy would work better...right now I have 'Adjust columns and font size' selected, and the legend's horizontal width is dictated by my widest text element, which is usually the layer name. As I cycle different layers on and off and the overall width of the legend changes, the indent then has to be readjusted each time. But I digress.....thanks for the assistance. 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Certainly - I too wish it was easier to accomplish the task at hand.  Maybe other Esri Community folks know of a better way?

0 Kudos