How much does Named user licensing last ?

Jump to solution
06-20-2018 07:33 AM
SaraEL_MALKI
Occasional Contributor II

Hi guys,

as I've undertood so far, If I wanna keep all my arcgis desktop licenses, and at the same time use arcGIS PRO, I need to use named user licensing from my ArcGIS Online,

BUT I know that If I convert an arcgis dektop licence to arcgis pro licence, my licence last for lifetime and I can't go back to my arcgis desktop licence, so it's irreversible

- what about named user licensing ? does it last only one year ? ( maintenance period) or for lifetime ?

because I don't know those named users are they coming from my arcgis dekstop licence or my maintenance licence ??

- and if I grant a user an arcgis pro licence, I can cancel that whenever I want and he can still use arcgis online wether he's using pro or not, correct ?

can you help me ? because I've read teh docs but no clue about these questions.

thanks in advance

ArcGIS Enterprise‌ What's New in ArcGIS

Rebecca Strauch, GISP‌ Robert Scheitlin, GISP

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

Sara,

I just want to provide clarification to your issue in case you haven't contact your account manager.  Hypothetically, if you currently have a subscription for 50 Desktop Advanced Concurrent Use licenses, you will also receive 50 Pro Named User licenses.  You do not need to convert your Desktop licenses to Pro licenses and vice versa.  For all Desktop users, nothing has change. 

If you want to use ArcGIS Pro in addition to ArcGIS Desktop, you will need to go to AGOL, create an organization, create users, assign Pro licenses to users, install Pro and then sign into Pro using the AGOL account assign with Pro licenses.  Again, this does not affect your Desktop licenses. 

How long does it last?  Because you have a perpetual license subscription, your Pro licenses are perpetual as well.  If you choose to not renew your maintenance agreement, you will not have access to AGOL and therefore cannot use named user licensing option.  However, you can go to MyEsri to convert your ArcGIS Pro Named User licenses to Concurrent Use licenses.  It will create a perpetual concurrent user license for Pro.  You can authorize the Pro licenses on your license manager, the same process for authorizing ArcGIS Desktop.  Just to be clear, you are converting Pro named user licenses to Pro concurrent use licenses.  You are not converting Desktop licenses. 

Hope this clears up any confusion.  If you have further questions, contact your account manager or Customer Service as Derek Law suggested above.  

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Sara,

> ... as I've undertood so far, If I wanna keep all my arcgis desktop licenses, and at the same time use arcGIS PRO, I need to use named user licensing from my ArcGIS Online,

This is not correct. ArcGIS Pro can be licensed in several ways. Please see this doc,

ArcGIS Desktop license types—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

It is best to discuss your options with your local Esri account manager/Distributor or contact Esri customer service - they are the best folks to assist with licensing questions.

Hope this helps,

SaraEL_MALKI

I said if I wanna keep ALL my dekstop licences, so it's clear I don't wanna use the conversion licenses tool from desktop to pro,

I've read already this doc and it doesn't clarify how much these lisences last !

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Sara, it would be best to contact your regional representative to ensure you get the arrangements you need

AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

Sara,

I just want to provide clarification to your issue in case you haven't contact your account manager.  Hypothetically, if you currently have a subscription for 50 Desktop Advanced Concurrent Use licenses, you will also receive 50 Pro Named User licenses.  You do not need to convert your Desktop licenses to Pro licenses and vice versa.  For all Desktop users, nothing has change. 

If you want to use ArcGIS Pro in addition to ArcGIS Desktop, you will need to go to AGOL, create an organization, create users, assign Pro licenses to users, install Pro and then sign into Pro using the AGOL account assign with Pro licenses.  Again, this does not affect your Desktop licenses. 

How long does it last?  Because you have a perpetual license subscription, your Pro licenses are perpetual as well.  If you choose to not renew your maintenance agreement, you will not have access to AGOL and therefore cannot use named user licensing option.  However, you can go to MyEsri to convert your ArcGIS Pro Named User licenses to Concurrent Use licenses.  It will create a perpetual concurrent user license for Pro.  You can authorize the Pro licenses on your license manager, the same process for authorizing ArcGIS Desktop.  Just to be clear, you are converting Pro named user licenses to Pro concurrent use licenses.  You are not converting Desktop licenses. 

Hope this clears up any confusion.  If you have further questions, contact your account manager or Customer Service as Derek Law suggested above.  

SaraEL_MALKI

Amnoy,

Thank you very much for your explanation, that made it clear for me

best Regards

0 Kudos