Select to view content in your preferred language

How Do I Use ESRI Data And Maps with ArcGIS Pro?

11-16-2022 09:24 AM
TR_UNC1
New Contributor II

I'm testing for a Windows environment with no Internet access and I just got a copy of ESRI Data and Maps from our campus software office. How can I get Arc Pro 2.8 or 3.0 to use the ESRI Data and Maps for basemaps instead of pointing to ArcGIS Online?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos
TR_UNC1
New Contributor II

Thanks! Uh .... where is the Add Theme button in ArcGIS Pro? I see Add Database, Add Server, Add Tool, Add Style and some other add options but no Add Theme button.

The page you linked is dated 2016, so maybe it refers to ArcGIS Desktop. I'll keep hunting.

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

Add theme was the old ArcView version of Add Data.....

R_

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

So the old CD's of "Esri Data and Maps" is now all on ArcGIS Online!  No CD required!  The URL is Esri Maps and Data - Overview (arcgis.com) .  Once on this page, you can search for the data/maps you wish, go to the Item Details Page and click "Add in ArcGIS Desktop" for ArcGIS Pro (or ArcMap) as well as ArcGIS Online Map Viewer!

0 Kudos
TR_UNC1
New Contributor II

Thanks, but as my original post says, this is for an environment where the Arc clients have no access to the internet, even through a proxy. I was hoping to find out how to have ArcGIS Pro point to the content (especially basemaps) in the ESRI Data and Maps as a substitute for ESRI online.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Apologies - just scanned past that requirement.  One thing that comes to mind is copy the data to your local disk or file share.  In ArcGIS Pro, on the Map tab, click the Add Data in the Layer Group and add the data from the directory where the Esri Data and Maps is located.  Honestly, it's been YEARS since I've used these CD's - pretty sure their information is out of date.

0 Kudos
TR_UNC1
New Contributor II

Thanks. They do update the CDs, so that's not too arduous for us to keep up with. My biggest hurdle is that I can see a way to add data, but I'm not sure how to get basemaps to show up from that source. I'm not an Arc programmer, so I could easily be overlooking something.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Interesting!  I did not know that the CD's were updated regularly!  Learn something new every day!  One thing to try is in the Catalog Pane under Folders, add a folder connection to the Esri Maps and Data folder where all the data is stored.  I would imagine you'd see the vector data, raster data, and non-spatial tables there but I wonder if you'd see the Basemaps too? If you can see Basemaps from the folder connection, then right-click on one and select Add to Current Map.  What is the result?