Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro and Microsoft Access with linked connection to SQL

Jump to solution
11-16-2022 01:08 PM
Demi_Snow
New Contributor

Hi Esri Users! 

I'm having trouble accessing linked Access tables in ArcGIS Pro. I have Microsoft Office 2016 x64 and ArcGIS Pro 3.0.2. 

Here are the steps I took to connect Access to ArcGIS:

I added an ODBC data source connection for my Access file which is saved on my C drive with no weird title: "AccessArcPro".

I added an OLE DB connection on ArcPro to link it to my Access file and individually selected the following data link providers at separate times:

16 Access, 12 Access and OLE DB Provided for ODBC Drivers

While I can see ALL of my tables with the ODBC Driver, I recieve this error:

Failure to add data, unsupported data type (file name). General function failure.

When I try the Microsoft Office 16.0 Access Driver, I get this: Failure to add data, unsupported data type (file name). ODBC connection to (SQL server name) filed. General function failure. 

I'm stomped. I've read several posts and google articles, but none seem to help.

Any clarification is greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@Demi_Snow You may be missing the Microsoft Windows .NET 6 Desktop Runtime or Access Database Engine driver. Please review the documentation:

Install the Microsoft Access Database Engine drivers

Another trick that has worked for me is to save the Access DB as the older .mdb file format extension. This should be tried only if the issues persist after installing the required Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable driver.

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@Demi_Snow You may be missing the Microsoft Windows .NET 6 Desktop Runtime or Access Database Engine driver. Please review the documentation:

Install the Microsoft Access Database Engine drivers

Another trick that has worked for me is to save the Access DB as the older .mdb file format extension. This should be tried only if the issues persist after installing the required Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable driver.

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri