How do I generate drive distance between pairs of latitude and longitude coordinates with ArcGIS Pro and routing layers?

Jump to solution
09-24-2020 10:04 AM
DanielGetz
New Contributor III

I know I have done this before but I can't remember which analysis layer and data input format gives met the outcome I am after.

Basically my input table looks something like this:

Origin ID Number | Origin Lat | Origin Long | Destination Lat | Destination Long

123                         xx.xxxx      xx.xxxx         xx.xxxxx               xx.xxxx          

123                         xx.xxxx      xx.xxxx         xx.xxxxx               xx.xxxx         

And I am trying to get ArcGIS Pro to return a drive distance along the drive network for me for each part of origin and destinations.

I have done this before, I think with the route analysis layer(?) but I cannot for the life of me figure out the steps I took to input the type of data shown above to get the output in drive distance. 

The output from the prior times returned a value in KM for driving along the road network. 

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanielGetz
New Contributor III

So I found a (very tedious) way to do this process. I was fortunate enough that my distributor locations were usually the same for groups of 100 or so sites. So I created a point feature class for a single distributor location and pulled in my sites as another point feature class. Then I ran an Origin Destination Matrix with the single distributor site feature class as the origin and the multiple sites in the feature class as the destination and the resulting line dataset provided the answer that I needed. 

Marking this as solved for someone in the future who might have this problem as well. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanielGetz
New Contributor III

So I found a (very tedious) way to do this process. I was fortunate enough that my distributor locations were usually the same for groups of 100 or so sites. So I created a point feature class for a single distributor location and pulled in my sites as another point feature class. Then I ran an Origin Destination Matrix with the single distributor site feature class as the origin and the multiple sites in the feature class as the destination and the resulting line dataset provided the answer that I needed. 

Marking this as solved for someone in the future who might have this problem as well. 

0 Kudos
ClaytonAnderson
New Contributor

I'm working on this exact problem, except for me the above solution won't work. If someone could comment on how to use the routing method instead. 

DanielGetz
New Contributor III

So what drove me crazy this past week while I did the tedious processing was that I had done this before using the route tool which turned out to be way faster. You need a unique identifier for each route in your input dataset. That much I know is true from my emails back and forth between my coworker earlier in the year. But that was the only thing I could remember about doing it. 

The workflow was maybe add data with unique identifier for the input route field. Same unique identifier for each stop that you put in. Then run? After 7000 processed and how long that took, I don't want to try it again with the route method. Pretty silly the documentation is that vague. 

0 Kudos