How do I export just a couple features from a larger shape file in ArcPro?

10-18-2017 08:58 AM
MatthewBrown11
New Contributor

Have five features selected in a shape file and would like to export those out so they are the only features I have in the shape file.

In ArcGIS I would have either turned the selected features into a separate layer, or I would have exported the selected features into a new shape file. Can't find either of these options in ArcPro.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChristopherMcClain
Occasional Contributor II

The process is very similar to ArcMap. First select the features you want to export to the new Feature layer or shapefile then right click on that layer in the contents pane then go to Data>Export Features.  This will open the copy features tool, confirm the Input Features is the correct layer and specify the Output Feature Class (it will default to the project's fgdb).  It will only copy those features that are selected, if no features are selected it will copy all features.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

simply use Copy Features in Pro... it will honor any selections made in the file you are trying to sub-slice.  It is just different than right-clicking.  For a short cut, modify your geoprocessing tools list and add Copy Features to it if you need a left-click short click (albeit from a toolbar rather than the table of contents)