Select to view content in your preferred language

How do I combine two Point Feature Classes into one?

Jump to solution
05-13-2024 07:57 AM
jwrrenv
New Contributor II

In Arcgis Pro 3.2.2. In this case I have two sets of shovel test points that I want to be combined and retain all data fields. I saw one topic that suggested using "Pairwise Dissolve" to convert it to a multipoint feature, but that causes it to be just one row in the attribute table (and merging them still didn't even work afterwards).

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
BobBooth1
Esri Contributor

Try Append:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/append.htm

If the feature classes have different schemas, you will need to use the field map at the bottom of the tool.

View solution in original post

RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Create a feature class that has all of the attributes in it.  then use data loader and load the points. Or copy and paste from original to the new one.

OR, decide which Point feature to modify.  Open Data Design> Fields for both feature classes.  Copy all of the attributes from one (other than things like object id, global id etc) and paste them in the the keeper class.  Remove the attributes which may be duplicated and save.  then copy and paste into the keeper feature

View solution in original post

9 Replies
BobBooth1
Esri Contributor

Try Append:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/append.htm

If the feature classes have different schemas, you will need to use the field map at the bottom of the tool.

jwrrenv
New Contributor II

yeah that combines them but it doesn't bring along any of the attribute data

0 Kudos
jwrrenv
New Contributor II

Screenshot 2024-05-14 213608.pngThis is the issue I'm having with the Merge tool. The two layers i'm trying to merge are both "point" types: "STPs" and "New_STPs", these are the errors I get.

0 Kudos
DanHardwick
New Contributor II

Hi. Can you not just use the geoprocessing tool 'Merge'? That allows you to combine the two point datasets into a single output, and also keep all fields... might do the trick? 

jwrrenv
New Contributor II

No, it says "The destination layer type cannot be merged."

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

The Merge GP tool with the Field Map parameters should do this.

R_

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Create a feature class that has all of the attributes in it.  then use data loader and load the points. Or copy and paste from original to the new one.

OR, decide which Point feature to modify.  Open Data Design> Fields for both feature classes.  Copy all of the attributes from one (other than things like object id, global id etc) and paste them in the the keeper class.  Remove the attributes which may be duplicated and save.  then copy and paste into the keeper feature

jwrrenv
New Contributor II

ok i got it to do what I needed by creating a new feature and importing fields from one of the features i'm trying to merge, then append worked by selecting Use the field map to reconcile field differences, it still warned about something. This makes my life a bit easier, thanks. I swear this software actively wants me to feel psychological torment.

0 Kudos