How do I add a "spatial reference" to a shapefile in ArcGIS Pro?

Jump to solution
09-26-2019 07:53 AM
StephanieDonoghue1
New Contributor

I was given some shapefiles. One of them has spatial reference information if you go into properties and it works correctly. The rest have no spatial reference listed, and I don't see anywhere to click to add this information. I'm running on the ArcGIS Pro free trial, so I'm wondering if the free trial has this limitation or if there is another place to add/revise this for the shapefile.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Stephanie - shapefiles are notorious for missing the *.prj files (projection files).  To create a *.prj for each shapefile, you can run the Define Projection geoprocessing tool.  It does require that you know what the projection is in the first place.  If the shapefiles with the missing *.prj file matches up with a known coordinate system in your map view, then you can use that projection.  Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Stephanie - shapefiles are notorious for missing the *.prj files (projection files).  To create a *.prj for each shapefile, you can run the Define Projection geoprocessing tool.  It does require that you know what the projection is in the first place.  If the shapefiles with the missing *.prj file matches up with a known coordinate system in your map view, then you can use that projection.  Hope this helps!

StephanieDonoghue1
New Contributor

That did it! Thank you so much!