How can we get custom output formats address for geocoded addresses using "create locator" in ArcGis Pro?

Jump to solution
03-30-2022 02:22 PM
DesireeAlvarado
New Contributor II

Hello everyone!

Hope you all are doing well!  

I have a question about regional locator when I create locator from a feature simple geometry line.

I'm using "create Locator" the role: street address and I complete all field names requires, specially I'm using in country code: ARG because I'm from Argentina.

But When I use this Locator for Geocode Addresses I would like to get another output formats, for example I got: "926 Magdalena, Villa Dominico, Avellaneda, 1874" but I need to get this format: "Magdalena 926, Villa Dominico, Avellaneda, 1874", I try to change in USAddress.xml (House number and Street name positions) but I haven't have success, 

So, I would like to know in ArcGIS Pro, How I can get the requiere format for regional address or customizing in general? 

Any advice would be appreciated!! Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Okay - I think I know what's going on.  The Create Address Locator GP tool referenced in your ArcMap screen shot was deprecated at ArcGIS Pro 2.7 and it seems *.xml files are no longer used to create address locators at ArcGIS Pro 2.7 and higher.  The replacement tool Create Locator GP does not use the same workflow as ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro 2.6 it seems - rather it uses Roles.  What I would test is use ArcMap to create the Address Locator using your customized *.xml file, then in ArcGIS Pro, add the *.loc file in your Catalog Pane->Locators and see if you can use THAT *.loc to geocode the addresses with the preferred syntax.  Another workflow is to install ArcGIS Pro 2.6 on a single machine and test the workflow on the older software.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I know if you use the ArcGIS World Geocoding Service, there is a parameter for Country - see image below with Argentina selected.  I "think" this service would format addresses unique to Argentina but I have not tested it as of yet.  The ArcGIS World Geocoding Services does use Esri credits to process though.   I'm still researching the topic of creating one's own address locator and can it do the required formatting.

GeocodeArgentina.JPG

0 Kudos
DesireeAlvarado
New Contributor II

Thank you Robert,

ArcGIS World Geocoding Service for Argentina have good performance to match and outputs formats, I tested it once, but use Esri credits; 

The requirements wants with a cartography (a feature with geometry lines) create the Locator with the geoprocess the same name in ArcGIS Pro, and with that Locator, geocoding address later in a WebApp; I tested but when I use Create Locator, is missing in Country or Region: Argentina, so the outputs formats and address matches no very well.

So, I try to change or include several "things" in USAddress.lot.xml (something like that: How To: Add a custom highway to the address locator style) but Don't change the results; 

I'm no sure If I can make this changes by myself editing USAddress.lot.xml or Is in ArcGIS Pro different? 

Thank you for your time!

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Thank you for your reply.  So ArcGIS Pro does have a similar USAAddress.lot.xml file but it's located in your C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\Locators folder vs. the one mentioned in the "How to" article.  I've never used this workflow to modify the *.xml but I would imagine it would work.  Are you using the correct *.xml file?

0 Kudos
DesireeAlvarado
New Contributor II

Hello, Thank you too!

Yes! I'm editing USAddress.lot.xml located in C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\Locators folder, but maybe when I apply the "Create Locator" in ArcGIS Pro, I haven't been using the USAddress.lot.xml edited, Can be? 

Because, In the past when I used "Create Address Locator" tool, I can select my file edited or another default styles (USAddress) in Address Locator Style option, I show an example I did in the past (The ARG-ARG-StreetAddress is a copy from USAddress file edited by me): 

DesireeAlvarado_0-1648738329978.png

In ArcGIS Pro, When I use "Create Locator" I can't chose my style file edited, so I erase the USAddress.lot.xml default and paste my style file .XML edited in folder respective; but I'm not seeing changes in geocoding results, both output formats and address matches; so I thought the USAddress.lot.xml file edited no working in ArcGIS Pro, or maybe I need to do another modifications to change address format output because I want to get street name first and house number second. 

I would like know if someone has tried something like that in ArcGIS Pro, getting  different results .

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Okay - I think I know what's going on.  The Create Address Locator GP tool referenced in your ArcMap screen shot was deprecated at ArcGIS Pro 2.7 and it seems *.xml files are no longer used to create address locators at ArcGIS Pro 2.7 and higher.  The replacement tool Create Locator GP does not use the same workflow as ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro 2.6 it seems - rather it uses Roles.  What I would test is use ArcMap to create the Address Locator using your customized *.xml file, then in ArcGIS Pro, add the *.loc file in your Catalog Pane->Locators and see if you can use THAT *.loc to geocode the addresses with the preferred syntax.  Another workflow is to install ArcGIS Pro 2.6 on a single machine and test the workflow on the older software.

0 Kudos
DesireeAlvarado
New Contributor II

Thank you Robert,

We going to use your recommendation using ArcMap to create the Address Locator using our customized *.xml file and use it in ArcGIS Pro; We did a test before and it works, although We need to do more tests,

Before We apply this solutions, We wanted to be sure that We couldn't do changes to adapt geocoding address for Argentina in ArcGIS Pro; so I appreciated your feedback and We going to be waiting for Argentina be add to Create Locator.

Thanks you a lot!

0 Kudos