How can i open a file having 2D coordinate system in ArcGIS Pro?

07-13-2021 07:38 AM
RehanChaudhary
Occasional Contributor

I have a netcdf file that has locations stored in 2D coordinates. For instance, the coordinates are stored like this lat(x,y), lon(x,y). How can i open such a file in ArcGIS Pro? The file looks something like this:

https://cfconventions.org/Data/cf-conventions/cf-conventions-1.2/build/ch05s02.html

I am unable to find much support for this type of data within ESRI enviornment 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I assume by 'open' you mean view as points.  Take a look at XY Table to Point.  I suggest turning your csv into a table first. 

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
RehanChaudhary
Occasional Contributor

@JoeBorgione The tool that you suggested also takes 1D coordinates and as i mentioned i have data in 2D coordinates so x,y pair of latitude and x,y pair of longitude and i want to view that as points. How can i view that correctly? I think ESRI has no support for such data 😕

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I'm afraid I don't understand what you are after.  You have a file that has Lat,Lat and Long,Long in two different fields correct?  What are the pairs you wish to display?  Lat,Lat?  Long,Long?  Neither of those make sense in GIS.

0 Kudos
RehanChaudhary
Occasional Contributor

@JoeBorgione thanks for a quick response. i meant something like this https://cfconventions.org/Data/cf-conventions/cf-conventions-1.2/build/ch05s02.html. This is how i have coordinates in pairs and i want such a dataset to be viewable in ArcGIS Pro

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Again, I really don't understand what you are trying to achieve.  Perhaps someone else can help.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Longitude and Latitude is a 2D coordinate system, you can only display using one of the variants.

Supported data types and coordinate systems and spatial reference are discussed in the following links

Data types supported by netCDF—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Spatial reference for netCDF data—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...