Select to view content in your preferred language

How can I display 2D raster data as a 3D surface?

04-11-2023 08:34 PM
zdgra
by
Regular Contributor

I have downloaded 2D raster data from here and want to display it as a 3D surface, like this image from this post. I've tried to do what's in that post, as well as what's in these posts, but I haven't been successful. How can I do this in ArcGIS Pro?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AndreasHall
Esri Contributor

Hi, it seems like you have downloaded netCDF data (What is netCDF data?—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation) which is a kind multidimensional raster. The post you are referring to is using traditional one-dimensional raster data. You can export raster layers out of your NetCDF data using these instructions: Reading netCDF data as a raster layer—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation, then you should be able to do what you want to do. 

0 Kudos
zdgra
by
Regular Contributor

I've already read in my netCDF data as a raster layer using the "Make NetCDF Raster Layer" tool. The steps in @DanielAmrine's reply just aren't working for me. I don't think they're clear enough to be honest, and I'll need a better step-by-step to really understand how he's doing it.

Are you able to do something like this?

0 Kudos
AndreasHall
Esri Contributor

You should use your raster both as an elevation surface and as a 2D raster layer.

To add it as a ground layer, right click Ground in your table of content and choose Add Elevation Source Layer. Then, select your raster.

AndreasHall_0-1681290610601.png

If you want to apply an vertical exaggeration, select ground in the contents pane, then go to the Elevation Surface Layer tab and apply an exaggeration.

AndreasHall_1-1681290848453.png

Make sure you have your layer added as a normal raster layer to your scene as well. Like in the image above, my raster layer skogjord_ndsm, is present both as an elevation layer and as an 2D raster layer.

Does this help?

zdgra
by
Regular Contributor

This made everything so much more clear. Thank you, Andreas!